View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Nicholas Wyss

Default Standing at work to relieve low back pain?

Hello,

Just finished grad school and been working full-time for about 7 months now. Counting driving time I am sitting 9-11 hours per day. Never sat this much before. I started experiencing low back pain around months 3 or 4, and it has progressively gotten worse. Initially I had some massages and it seemed like it was a strained iliocostalis. It was very painful to have massaged when compared to the other muscles. In the past week, the pain seems to have gotten worse, and I am experiencing really painful spasms, often when I try to stand up after sitting for a while. I am also experiencing pain much closer to my lumbar vertebrae, and I can even feel a dull pain/feeling of instability when I am laying down. The pain laying down has just been since Friday. I am hoping its not a disc.

So I have had some back pain before, and I have been doing marching exercises while stabilizing the hips, bird dogs, glute bridges, and side planks. Right now regular planks cause me pain.

So, any thoughts you might have about the source of pain would be helpful.

Secondly though, even though I have been doing my rehab/prehab exercises, the pain seems to be getting worse. So I have been considering standing at work instead of sitting. I was wondering if anybody else had any personal experience or anecdotes to share about this idea.

The sitting makes my hip flexors tights, so I think if I just stand all day they will pull me into lordosis. I am thinking about bringing a stool, and putting one leg up on it so I am in a sort of lunge, and then switching legs every so often. I figure I can stretch the hip flexors on the back leg, and the lunging posture will help keep my low back in a better alignment.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!
Nicholas Wyss is offline   Reply With Quote