View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Ben Glidewell

No problem, thanks for the reply Greg. I am looking for additional positional work to address the issues you mentioned below.

"When you leave the floor, you're letting yourself tip forward over the bar too much - your knees extend faster than your hips, so you end up nearly straight-legged with the bar at your knees and your shoulders too far in front of it. So you're basically getting pulled forward and then you try to jump into the bar with your hips, which limits the upward acceleration and and kicks the bar forward. Then you still try to muscle the bar up overhead rather than pull yourself under it - of course, this is not only too much weight to do that, but the bar is too far away, so it doesn't work and you end up pressing it up overhead. Watch your hips as you try to get under the bar - you reach them forward rather than sitting them back into a squat. This is a combination of a lack of confidence under the bar, being off balance forward, and inflexibility."

I am following the Sample Masterís Program with added volume on the classic lifts and squats. Since your feedback I have continued to focus on stretching, I warm up with OHS + snatch balance (light and fast with a 2 sec pause in the bottom) each time I train, include high-hang and segment snatches/cleans on the skill day (Wednesday). However, when I do the regular pulls I feel like something is off (back rounds and I tip forward)Ö should I replace the pulls or just reduce the load or reps? I was especially curious about the load for how the 3 position pulls were programmed in your book in the technique/position cycle first before classic lifts (+ pull, + finish, + snatch/clean). Also, for someone who is still working into proper position as my self would you include a halting deadlift + high-hang pull or stick with segment snatches? Or replace the added classic lift and squat volume with additional position work?

Thank you for for offering your expertise on this site
Ben Glidewell is offline   Reply With Quote