View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

First, I'd say you're overthinking it a bit. At this point, I'd encourage you to do more experimentation with actual training than agonizing intellectually over details like tonnage. I don't mean that to sound rude, but there's a reality that you have only so much energy to put into this stuff, and you'll be much better served as a beginning lifter by lifting as much as possible and thinking as little as possible. Use existing programs and modify them as needed to suit you rather than trying to reinvent the wheel (to quote bill mcneil from news radio, thomas edison wasn't trying to invent something that was readily available from a variety of stores near his home).

Pay attention to your sets/reps/percentage progressions and that will be adequate.

So regarding the numbers you posted, I would say the following:

Don't do 5 reps in the snatch or CJ. MAYBE in the power snatch occasionally, but very rarely would I ever do more than 3s.

I would start w 3s, move to 2s, then to 1s. On week 2, do some 3s but finish w 2s. On week 3, start w 2s, finish w 1s.

If you did 5x3 at 85% and felt like you had a lot more in the tank, that's definitely not 85%. You have a lot of room technically to fill out. That being the case, I would suggest programming in a way that addresses your technical needs - just doing the classic lifts will probably not be adequate.

So I realize this totally derails your original question, but I think you're focusing on the wrong thing.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote