View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Jack Kroskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
This is quite a list. I have some questions that I would consider if I were in your shoes.

The first question is where are you relative to those standards now? Are they easily hit? a struggle to maintain? Those answers will tell you how much or how little of those you can afford to do while you work on other priorities

Second question is what amount of strength do you believe you need? in what movements? why? This goal needs specificity before you can reasonably select exercises,m sets reps frequency intensity or volume.

For instance, relative to other movements the back squat is going to have biggest cost in terms of recovery with a low payback for those many of your other goals, so if you include it for a specif reason you'll want to know what standard you hope to hit and hold and a sense of how long that will take given the re-prioritization you are doing.

Third question, why exactly are you including the "metcons"? what movements are you including in them? what specific benefits do they infer relative to your goals? (swimming, running rucking, chin and pushups)

It's intuitive that some amount of "metcon" work could be replaced with running and swimming intervals and pushup/chinup complexes in lieu of "metcons"
Dave,

Thanks for the reply mate. Let me answer your questions in order to keep things organized.

#1- I meet, if not exceed several of these goals. The bodyweight, running and swimming aren't a problem for me. However there is always room for improvement. My base of fitness is solid, so perhaps listing these as "goals" was misleading. I run 5ks in 19:30-20:30, Swim my 5s at a solid clip and Max the PFT Cals.

#2- This is a difficult question to answer as my strength has recently gone up since December. Respectable numbers for each lifts are relative to each individual. Im not looking to be a champion here, but my current numbers are: 485 DL, 235 C&J, 345 SQ, 185 Snatch, 185 Press. Maintenance is great, and small victories in PRs are awesome, like I said above, Im not looking to compete in Crossfit or Lifting competitions. All this being said, I can directly correlate my ability to squat/DL to my rucking ability. Carrying a 350# CRRC is not much fun if your weak, and doesn't help guys on your team out.

#3 - Metcons to me are short quick bursts, a short cindy, a very light fran, ALOT of bodyweight and skill stuff. Not trying to slay myself here, just train mental fitness and maintain/gain for PFT stuff. Also, short swim intervals are occasionally used with bodyweight cals. IE:5 x Swim 50m, 25 Pushups, 25 sit-ups

Hope this fills in the blanks.
Jack Kroskey is offline   Reply With Quote