View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kroskey View Post
Dave,

Thanks for the reply mate. Let me answer your questions in order to keep things organized.

#1- I meet, if not exceed several of these goals. The bodyweight, running and swimming aren't a problem for me. However there is always room for improvement. My base of fitness is solid, so perhaps listing these as "goals" was misleading. I run 5ks in 19:30-20:30, Swim my 5s at a solid clip and Max the PFT Cals.

#2- This is a difficult question to answer as my strength has recently gone up since December. Respectable numbers for each lifts are relative to each individual. Im not looking to be a champion here, but my current numbers are: 485 DL, 235 C&J, 345 SQ, 185 Snatch, 185 Press. Maintenance is great, and small victories in PRs are awesome, like I said above, Im not looking to compete in Crossfit or Lifting competitions. All this being said, I can directly correlate my ability to squat/DL to my rucking ability. Carrying a 350# CRRC is not much fun if your weak, and doesn't help guys on your team out.

#3 - Metcons to me are short quick bursts, a short cindy, a very light fran, ALOT of bodyweight and skill stuff. Not trying to slay myself here, just train mental fitness and maintain/gain for PFT stuff. Also, short swim intervals are occasionally used with bodyweight cals. IE:5 x Swim 50m, 25 Pushups, 25 sit-ups

Hope this fills in the blanks.

Yup. I copy.

A lot of food for thought in Justin's post so I won't rehash.

An alternative way to think about it based on your answers

1) sounds like you just need to maintain these standards? If so, then you need very little work beyond a couple short BW sessions, some intervals and one long ruck per week.

2) You don't state a strength goal here but it sounds to me like you feel you're strong enough already. If you feel you need to be stronger, I'd work on getting that DL up to a 550-585, move that squat to 405 and call it good. The Oly stuff adds nothing and taps recovery, I'd drop it or use it as a warm up. One day squatting each week is plenty to move your squat and dead. One day Pulling is enough here as well. You could press on these days as well just for variety. Does not sound like you need any of those other things you listed so I'd drop them in favor of achieving your goal quickly.

3) You clearly don't need metcons, they are costly in term of recovery and eat into your progress on the squat and dead, I'd drop that as well.

Now that you've reduced the variables to a reasonable number, you've got time for a really good plan. two days in the gym working the barbell in a squat and dead followed by logical circuits in the BW exercises, Another two other days you can fit in swim intervals with maybe some running after...actually, good swim technique is so much more important to speed than anything else, you could almost use cruise intervals in the pool for active recovery. this is something i toyed with in the waay back and it worked well. you might choose to run real easy after the lifting days...it will slow progress but it seems like a big job requirement so probably more important than your lifting aspirations. Plenty of time left over for a long ruck and recovery.

Template pretty much writes itself when you remove the unnecessary components.