View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kroskey View Post
No indoc, Just work/training. How about the idea of building up the squat/DL/Press so that when/if Pre Deployment workups come up instead of going from a 500# lift to a 350# lift, I go from 575 to a 400 or whatever. (Just round random numbers for discussions sake.)

Now that we've decided on lifts running etc, lets talk sets reps... What to use and what to cycle through. Im horrible at this. Hitting mass amounts of reps in the SQ/DL would obviously come at the end of a cycle, optimally right before a workup or physically intensive school.

A less important issue probably. If you are settled on two days in the gym (makes sense) you're looking at a pretty simple progression. Low frequency/higher intensity.

How are you built? long limbs or short?
what have you used in the past to get to current numbers?
do you have spotters?
what are you good at? reps or singles?
what lift do you love, which do you hate?

Sounds like you're squarely in intermediate territory where progress is about to slow.

my gut reaction is an A/B/ Split:
A Press and Squat,
B Push Press and DL

Plenty of set/rep schemes that will work. No matter what they'll need to be based on a one day a week squat and one day pull. I am a fan of 531, also a fan of the old school
54321 to a top 80-95% single with a either a couple big back off sets or 3x3 with pauses squats or deficit DL. Another favorite is to use the Texas method spread over 2 days instead of 3.

Really sets and reps are pretty unimportant, what's important is getting the right amount of volume (for you) in and being recovered enough to give time to your other background goals. Better question, what kind of rep/set progressions do you like?