View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #2773
Derek Simonds

Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I rolled with this brown belt who I actually really like, and was working really hard to pass half and she told me I was going 80% and she was only going 60%. I'm like, uh.... so? You're bigger than me and a brown belt. I mean, yeah I was using a fair amount of head pressure on the non-underhook side, but she knows how to frame on my face. She later apologized and said lower belts get to pick the pace. I think some people get upset if you even so much as score a point against them. I actually admire that tenacity and it's probably how she's gotten as good as she has (she's *so* good), but it also sometimes makes her hard to deal with.

Sorry to hijack.
Good hijack. I have a couple of things I work on personally and that is to let the lower belt pick the pace unless it is unsafe. Last night was an example of that. I think that sometimes we say things to protect our ego (don't know if that is the right way to phrase it maybe sense of self) like I am going 60% or my shoulder is hurt. I really focus on not having that happen when I am working with someone.

I am glad to know that your head pressure at 80% is good enough to make her take notice. That means at tournament speed it would be a challenge to anyone of your rank!
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote