Thread: Yael's Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #38
Yael Grauer

So I'm busy finishing last minute rewrites/requests and picking up a few things for the conference I'm going to in New York. Unfortunately ran out of time to go to the gym, but I think it's okay... I'm going to be out of town for the next week anyway, and don't exactly feel like dealing with being super sore (as is likely to be the case since I'm still working my way back into lifting) while navigating public transportation with luggage from the airport to my friend's place in Queens.

I did take about a 45-minute walk around the lake, though, which was nice.

I am really trying to figure out what my one goal is. My goal used to be completely grappling-related, like I want to get in better shape to improve my grappling, and then it'd be based around whatever I felt I needed to work on. Or I just focused on getting stronger for the year I took off from grappling. But now I'm thinking if I only do open mat once a week and have to take more basic classes before then, getting in shape to grapple isn't really practical--and I wouldn't know whether I met my goals anyway. So I have really been wrestling with this... Once I finish the 10 more sessions for the program I picked, which seems mostly strength-based, what is it I want to do?

I definitely want grappling to be a priority, but I think at this point it's more of a hobby than a workout since I have to do these technique-heavy classes. I think this may be a good thing for me in the long run, and I trust my coach, but it's annoying now.

I was looking at Nate Green's workout generator and was so confused...

His goals were:

1. I want to be healthy and fit (a blend of resistance and cardio designed for people who want to maintain a healthy, but not overly intense, workout routine.)

I think I might be bored with this one.

2. I want to be stronger. (Emphasizes big lifts for increased muscle mass, higher muscle tension, and improved intermuscular coordination.)

I like focusing on strength, but then I wonder, bigger and stronger for what? I'm not planning on competing in anything but grappling, and don't roll enough to compete in grappling... strength has always felt like a means to an end for me, but I don't really have a short/mid-term end right now.

3. I want to get toned and trim (women) (a mix of cardio and resistance training specifically designed to help you get toned and trim without getting bulky).

Ugh, who cares about being bulky? This sounds like #1, but they probably throw in "girly" exercises on Swiss balls to make people feel like they are doing something different. Anyway, it's always nice to have something physical to show for one's efforts, but I figure if you take care of the inside (as Krista Scott-Dixon always says) then the outside will take care of itself. And it's mostly diet, anyway.

4. I want an optimal body (men). Not applicable.

5. I want to gain muscle mass (optimized for maximum hypertrophy. If you want to look like a beast, this is your program). Not applicable.

6. I want to be healthy and fit (50+). Not applicable.

7. I want rapid weight loss. Meh, see #3.

8. I want to cross-train for stamina sports (swimming, soccer, wrestling.)
A conditioning program that includes high level cardio, resistance, plyometric training, flexibility, and ballistics. Develops stamina and strength, and prevent injuries.

I wanted this at first but now I'm wondering if that's what I even need, really. Is it cross-training if all my BJJ classes are drills at low effort and I only go hard one day a week?

9.I want to develop power for sports (football, baseball, etc.) N/a.

10. I want to maximize my athleticism in every aspect. Meh. Maybe. Except this seems so one-size-fits-all. "This is the broadest of all programs, providing a well balanced mix of stability, endurance, hypertrophy, strength, and power."

11. I want to cross-train for running, cycling, and long distance sports. No.

So strength, cross-training or overall athleticism? Hmm. They all seem problematic. Cross-training is pointless since I'm not "really" doing legit BJJ, overall athleticism is too broad and pure strength seems too specific. So yeah, I don't really know what I want and it sucks. LOL. I guess I just want to have fun and lift things and sprint.