View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Can you give me an example of how you would use it to plan your training (this is a serious question, I'm not trying to get your kilt in a twist) and not just to note that what you did in your training happened fit in its ranges?

My own training might not be a great example as I don't really program (I don't believe in it) but in working with folks who are doing our standard PL split,

If the main movement was say a Squat, the secondary movement would be a variation on the squat. So lets say we work them up to a very heavy max set of five. right at lets say 85%+

then we want to move to an accessory movement that supports that, say a pause squat. If they only had that one heavy set on the day, at 85%, I'd look at the total range for 80-90% and know that I could either have them:

stick to pauses for 3 sets of 5, (15+5=20reps, top of the range)

or that I could drop them to 3x3 (9+5=14 mid range)

or more likely they'd be asking for 5 sets of three (15+5=20reps, top of the range) but becuase the triples would be heavier (closer to 90%) this might push them too much so I'd look to curtail this. Also I base the %'s on the actual max of this secondary movement. In this case what their max or best guess max pause squat is)

Now to be fair, most of this stuff, I do on autopilot but if one of my trainign partners asks...what should I do now? for an accessory movements, I almost always prescribe a range and % right out of the chart for 70-80% or 80-90% in terms of sets or reps.

Also, if say, (as I often do) "Go do doubles" I almost always tell them to start at about 90% and expect to get maybe 4 to 5 sets. If they are getting much more, it was too light and we move up.

Now if that seems too ad hoc, I get it, but it's completely informed by the chart and what the range of % and weight. It tunes people's expectations of reasonable and gives them a sense of how much work they should be planning for at about what effort.

Now...it gets even messier when we add in RTS and rates of perceived exertion but you did not ask that.