View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

I'm not a fan of taking time off completely for exactly the reasons you're talking about. Lifting is a skill that needs to be practiced. You just need to modulate the volume and intensity.

I think also you're just experiencing a normal part of lifting/training. There will be times when your training goes to absolute shit and you're convinced it's all over for you. I have to talk lifters off the edge fairly regularly. But things always turn around, and eventually they don't even remember how depressed and frustrated they were because they're back to making progress and feeling good.

Consider everything that's going on outside the gym when you're trying to figure out what's happening as well. Work, family, other stresses can all have huge influence on your training. Also remember that the longer you train, the less frequent the PRs. You can't expect to continue making PRs at the same rate indefinitely.

Have you run that cycle before? It's a tough one. It may simply be too much total volume for you at this point. It also sounds like mentally you're burned out. That cycle is pretty repetitive. Look at the total weekly volume of the last cycles that you found effective for you and compare that to the current one. If it's considerably lower, try cutting back on the classic cycle to get it in range.

Also it's important to keep in mind that with technical lifts, your proficiency is going to be inconsistent at this stage. I kind of think of it like a kid learning his language - kids go through a stage when they start using the wrong past tense variations (like "cutted" instead of "cut") when they used to use the correct ones. As I understand it, this is because formerly they were speaking based on imitation, and now they're learning the actual structural rules, but haven't yet learned all the exceptions, etc. IN other words, as they learn more, sometimes it seems like they're regressing, when really it';s just a natural stage in the overall process.

The cycle you're on is largely about improving technique, and it does so in a way that's very demanding of focus and consequently very draining mentally and physically.

So my point is, Olympic lifts are like this - at your stage, you will go through periods of time when you feel like you;ve never done the lifts before and you're incredibly frustrated and convinced you'll never get better. You have to do your best to stay on track, try to stay positive and ride it out, because it will get better.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote