View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
brandon green

Default Is that the way the Soviet system really worked ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It's true that you adapt to the stimulus.

But if you don't it sends you into the pit of hell called overtraining that may take weeks, months or years to recover from depending on how bad it is.

The major thing is that the greater the stress on the body the bigger adaptations you can build, but if you cross the line of your body's limits to adapt you will crash and crash hard.

The biochemistry is for the most part correct for general adaptation syndrome, and for the neurotransmitter stuff though.

I mean, I crashed from trying to do maximal intensity strength training for 5-6 days a week for months at a time even with week breaks here and there in my training. Not everyone has good genetics to adapt to super heavy all the time.

In the soviet and bulgarian and now chinese system they throw thousands of athletes into the meat grinder.... only a few make it out but those few set world records. Is that a good way to train for everyone? Probably not. But if you can do it then more power to you... just don't expect everyone else to be able to.
*********IMHO The Soviets "system" for the most part was not "meat grinderish" . I was the client of Dr. Michael Yessis in the 80's and trained with Jay Schroeder in the 90's, both having personal experience with the Soviet "system". I knew personally two individuals that were vital cogs in their system, a biochemist that has written several books here in the U.S. - Dr. Morris Silber and a sprint coach and researcher- Ben Tabachnick. With all the research centers and scientists involved each athlete and coach used the principles discovered "individually". That means only when they would get together for example the Olympic games would they train according to a common plan. The Bulgarian methodology seems to work well for those "built" to do the lifts. If not closer to a Soviet "methodology", which is very diverse(more varied stimulus) is the better option.

Last edited by brandon green : 06-29-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: grammer
brandon green is offline   Reply With Quote