View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #23
Robb Wolf

Craig-
I think much of the problem lies in the cluelessnes of PT's. We worked with a clinic here in chico and eventually they sold their universal and hammer strength equipment and instead used mop buckets filled with weights for sled work (most of their patients are 60+ years old...they had a ball dragging buckets of weight around the parking lot). They started using the parallel bars for assisted dips and punch ups instead of just gait training.

The only movement these folks are exposed to is bodybuilding as part of their Ther-x (therapeutic exercise). Once they see functional movements and more importantly see the results of functional movements when combined with smart manual therapy, ultrasound stim etc. they are sold. There are still some instances in which thera-band and dumbells are useful for the rotator cuf, although the muscle snatch is my fave in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cooper View Post
This again leads back to the original question: does this really work? In my experience, anytime I send someone off to Physical Therapy to "correct any muscular deficiencies" they only see improvements when not using the muscle(s) in question. As soon as they return to regular activity, the problem returns. Correcting deficiencies through isolation work seems to defy the notion that our body is a system working in integration, not isolation. Can't you prehab/correct deficiencies with well executed compound functional movements?

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote