View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Paul,

I think the plan looks great. I especially like the fact that you highlight a "homework" portion where they're told to work on things that will help them, like mobility. Also, good job thinking outside of the box with approaching the YMCA and keeping your weightlifting club alive! If I could send a few observations your way:

1. You acknowledge the challenges which you encounter, which is the right thing to do. A lot of times, people get excited with the concept of teaching people the classic lifts and have their beginner lifters starting way too soon. I think your program does well to break down the movements.
2. With that being said, it's going to be important to not rush people through the different skills you have laid out. You have to find the right balance in between teaching the movements and having them show proficiency. You don't want to hit a stand still just because the person can't get into a full-depth squat and not teach the lifter other portions of the lift he can do with his limited mobility/strength/whatever other limiting factor; likewise, you don't want to rush into having the lifter do full classic lifts. Again, I think your program does well to break the points down, but I would caution you against feeling pressured to stay on a schedule -- all lifters are individual and your job as a coach is to make the call as to when he is ready to move on and what he learns/rehearses/emphasizes on a given day.
3. If I could recommend something, it would be the inclusion of a day where you teach the third pull/turnover. When I was getting into coaching (and by absolutely NO means am I on any level as some of these other coaches, but I think I do fairly well for myself because I am constantly trying to learn and improve), I found that I could get people to know and understand the feel of where the bar needed to be when they're pulling and have it overhead or in the rack position, but when I asked them to get to those positions by tying them together, they had a very hard time. Using training types like a scarecrow snatch/clean or a tall snatch/clean will help them understand that their is a very active and violent repositioning of their body around the bar. I have found that if I teach it right after showing them the proper overhead positions or rack position, they grasp the concept that much better and are able to transition towards hang movements and, finally, from the floor. If I were to put this lesson somewhere, I would put it after the muscle snatch because it continues to emphasize the idea of pulling under and then pushing up against the bar.
4. I like Blair's idea of pressing snatch balances because it helps stretch the shoulders and compounds a movement needed in the snatch. I only use them when warming up and only use the bar. The snatch balance should be used if the person is having trouble with pushing under the bar and to work on core strength. There's the belief that if you're working on full snatches, you're also doing overhead squats and snatch balances. Again, use at your discretion.
5. I also like his idea of using the behind-the-neck jerk first. You can get lifters to understand exactly where they need to end up without having to negotiate the head, which can be problematic for some lifters.

I hope this helps and I didn't insult your intelligence or anything. I wish you the best of luck!

Best,
Javi
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote