View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Michael McKenna

You need to get stronger. I understand that you don't want to compete in the Olympic lifts, which is fine, though I think everyone should compete in something, even if just for fun. But you need to get stronger. I have a 49 year old woman who is 6' 220 pounds and can high bar bs 242 pounds. She squats twice a week and started lifting for the first time in 2010.

Your technique probably needs work, especially since you can power snatch more than you can snatch. But working on technique doesn't exclude getting under the bar, shutting up, and lifting. If I were you, I would simplify the workouts:

Day 1
Cleans , full squat clean, from the floor, hang, or boxes; do one for four weeks then change it up. 3x3, 2x3.
Front squats 5 sets of 3.
Push press 5 sets of 5
Rdl 2x10

Day 2
Snatches,floor, hang, or boxes. Do something different than you do for the cleans. 2,2,2,2,2, 1,1
Back squats, 5x5
Bench press or floor press, 3x8
Curls or chins, hands supinated (toward you). 5x5

Day 3
Snatch 2,2,2, 1,1,1
Clean and jerk 2+1, 2+1, 2 +1, 1+1 x 3
Back Squat 3,3, 2,2, 2

Do these sets as heavy as you can make them. And by heavy, I mean heavy. I cannot concieve that you train as heavy as you can. Training alone with little exposure to real strength badassery generally limits people. You are capable of doing more than you think you can.

Take at least one day off between training. Train heavy for three weeks, then on week four do no lifts over 80% of your best. If you do the above workouts in 60-75 minutes, you will load and lift, load and lift, so you won't need much conditioning those days. On your off days, do some conditioning, either sprints, kettlebells swings, or barbell complexes.

As for strength goals, you can pick whatever you want, but I would make squatting 400 and cleaning 300 sometime in 2013 your goals.

And eat some potatoes. No one ever got strong without eating potatoes.
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote