View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Istvan Samayoa

Your squats and deadlifts may very well go down switching to a weightlifting program.

Why?

Because your reps that would be spent doing squats and deadlifts are now going to snatches and cleans.

My numbers: 120kg Snatch, 150kg Clean/Jerk, 200kg Squat, 170kg Front Squat (hopefully 180kg when I test next week!)

For myself, the principal I follow is I focus on only a few things at a time. One cycle is meant to be strength, during this time, my snatch and clean/jerk rarely see increases because my technique takes a bit of a hit but it provides a stronger foundation when its time to work on technique.

When I go to work on technique, my snatch and clean/jerk go up but squats stay the same.

So what I am trying to say is you cannot do everything at once!...unless you are on "magic medicine."

If you want to improve snatch and clean/jerks, do these exercises. Personally, I don't believe in 1 rep max's for beginners. Pick a weight that is challenging, but you can hit consistently for triples and do it for 3-5 sets. At those numbers, there is no need to get complicated with the programming. Just do 3-5 sets of 3 a few times a week with each exercise and your numbers will go up.

Throw in pulls alternating with the exercise you do, so something very basic:

Snatch - 3-5 sets of 3 (this doesn't include warm up weights which you want to hit with consistent technique)
Clean Pull - 3-5 sets of 3 (relatively heavy weight, but you should be able to do the light quickly, and consistently without sacrificing form)
Push Press - 3-5 sets of 3-5 (you may see a pattern here)
Squats

next day:

Cleans - 3-5 sets of 3
Jerks (or just do clean and jerks 3-5 sets of 2+2)
Snatch Deadlift 3-5 sets of 3
Squats
Throw in whatever extra stuff you want

Third Day:

Pretty much first day over again

Fourth Day:

Pretty much second day over again except with Clean Deadlifts instead of pulls

Pretty much, I would suggest keep it simple and your numbers will go up. Chances are because of your age, doing 3 sets is going to more beneficial than 5 sets because recovery won't be as quick; do what you can handle.

As a beginner, you will find gains with improving technique. Your squat/deadlift numbers may go down while focusing on technique; however, you have to understand it is a back and forth game between strength and speed/technique. Don't be discouraged when one lift goes down because chances are another one is going up.

At the end of the day though, you have to experiment and see what works-unfortunately weightlifting means sometimes doing things that feel a little monotonousness but understand that there is a bigger pay off when it comes time to max out!
Istvan Samayoa is offline   Reply With Quote