View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Thomas Brenden

There seem to be multiple definitions of the pulls going around, so it makes it hard to know which you're talking about. I'm guessing, from your question, that you're referring to the pull from knees to upper thigh/hips?

Don't pull the weight with your traps at all. It should be more like you pull yourself with your traps. The way I look at it, is the "shrug" and the "elbows high and outside/back" portion of the lift is not to elevate the bar. Instead, when you start these shoulder/arm movements, you should have already hit your finish, and you are in the process of jumping your feet into the squat stance. Effectively, you have virtually no resistance pressing against the ground, thus the shrug and elbow bend is being use to pull your body down under, and to, the bar.

Something that I do to remind myself not to pull with the arms are clean pulls. Or sometimes a complex of like pull + pull + clean. I don't know if that's a standard coaching technique, but it seems to work for me to get the feel of leaving my arms relaxed through the finish. Maybe give it a shot?

Cheers!
Thomas Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote