View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah james View Post
Hello, I am relatively new to training for olympic weightlifting on its own..as I began in crossfit. I weigh 59kg and have eaten semi paleo for about 3 years now. I never consume sugar or flour. I consume small amounts of certain types of dairy. I shoot fro 1800-2200 calories a day, not counting religiously. I am wondering since I have not seen much strength gains in the last few months if I should somehow adapt my diet to olympic lifting rather than how I've eaten while I was participating in crossfit. A typical day for me is like this: 6 eggs for breakfast. Lunch-half a sweet potato and 6 ounces of chicken. Snack-protein bar. Dinner-1 1/2 cups greek yogurt with fruit and nuts. Snack-banana and peanut butter
I know nutrition can seem confusing what with Paleo, Zone, Carb Back Loading, IF, and all the other fad diets out there, but the truth is athletes don't need special diets. They just need to eat the same healthy balanced diet that everyone should be eating, albeit with more carbohydrate to fuel training and a little extra protein. The top three links in my sig cover most of this but if you have any question just ask.

Quote:
I am wondering if I should increase protein, carbs..calories overall?
I am also concerned as I wish to stay in the 58kg weight class as to me gaining too much weight. So I am unsure how weightlifters consume enough food to see strength gains, yet maintain a weight class? Maybe moving up to the 63kg weight class would be a better idea for me in the long run, but for now..I am much closer to the 58kg class.
Given how you've described your diet your lack of progress is almost certainly due to a lack of carbohydrate. Try having oatmeal with raisins and a little honey or something equally high in carbohydrate for breakfast, and try eating the whole sweet potato with lunch instead of just half. Just be aware that increasing your carbohydrate intake will cause you to gain a few pounds. This is just glycogen and water though, and nothing to worry about.

As for which weight class you should compete in; my advice would be to find the weight where you feel healthiest and perform best in training and compete in that class or the next class down from that weight. This is something you should discuss with your coach though as they'll be in the best position to asses how dieting might affect your performance.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote