Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Greg Everett
Administrator

Default Cosgrove Afterburn

Good article on why interval training is more productive than long steady-state aerobic work for fat loss:

http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/Energy-...-Training.html

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

Cosgrove's Afterburn is good example of a focused fat burning program. It runs about 16 weeks, so it's a serious committment.

Before you read on, the review is scattered with profanity. If this offends you, maybe you shouldn't read it.

This was my review of the product:

Quote:
I've always liked the material Alwyn has written for T-mag and EliteFTS, and even remember reading some of his stuff from mainstream men's fitness magazines and thinking it was good stuff. I recently had the opportunity to go over his "Afterburn" program (and a few other products), which is a program for losing fat.

The link:

http://www.afterburntraining.com/

First off is a blurb I wrote on Lyle's forum, comparing Cosgrove's "Afterburn" to Lyle's "Rapid Fat Loss" manual.

Quote:
Afterburn is a comprehensive program for fat loss, not mass gain.

Alwyn lays out both the resistance training and the energy system training in roughly 4 week blocks, as well as gives dietary recommendations.

There are 4 blocks total.

The workouts are not retarded, either. They are well designed, and if you know enough about the meta-principles of training, you'll be able to substitute workouts of your own in place of his. Some folks can see the big picture behind this shit, other's can't, and probably shouldn't try.

I don't mean to be a bit of a whore, but I feel it's a very solid product. I think it's possible a newbie could put on a bit of size from it, but probably not an experienced lifter, except in areas that had been previously neglected that the program might hit harder. A powerlifter or an olympic lifter going through the program could reasonably expect to lose strength in the competitive lifts (and might want to substitute workouts to compensate somewhat for that), but I think that would be a transitory thing. You would come out of the program leaner and with a much better base of conditioning behind you, and I would imagine you'd realize some gains on the competitive lifts after a period of re-specialization.

A 16 week commitment is no fucking joke, though.
Like I mentioned above, I feel it's a solid program, and if you have had good luck in the past with programs like Poliquin's "Manly Weight Loss", or Alessi's "Meltdown" you'll probably have good luck with this program.

It's a bit higher in repetitions than most strength guys would prefer, but for a change in pace, I can see it working very well indeed. It's aimed more for a beginning lifter rather than an advanced lifter, but the program is progressive in nature, and well put together.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
Danny John

That's a great review, Shaf. I love the program. I needed something crystal clear and I enjoy not having to think. In fact, that is like the basic point of my next article.

I like the way he combines things...
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

I just took a look at his Afterburn II program.

What's interesting is that he points out some stuff that I should have noticed, given both my personal experience and having listened to other's anecdotes.

I never did, but he's summarizes it pretty thoroughly in both materials.

I am doing the original Afterburn workouts for much the same reason Dan is doing the Afterburn II workouts...I am just sick and tired of dabbling with this, and that, and it fit my needs at this point in time, remarkably well.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Danny John

I also just bought Frank Forencich's two books, "Play as if Your Life Depends on it" and "Exuberant Animal." Now, he argues a different approach to workouts, but I am going to stick with Cosgrove's workouts for my "training" and model my throwing et al (as I honestly already have done) on the goanimal approach to fun and play.

This crap has to be fun. Oh, and not so damn scientific. You can measure and test and measure stuff all day and still not deadlift what my daughter Lindsay pulled on her first day of class.

That was a good lesson...for me.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
Craig Cooper

Frank Froencich is awesome! I attended an intro to goanimal here at the club where I work, and it was a lot of fun. We are now offering group goanimal classes here at the club taught by him.
Craig Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote