Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Chris Forbis

Default Single-speeds (and fixed-gears)

So I finally got my Redline 925 single-speed commuter bike in today (picture below). The 60 cm frame that I needed was out of stock so it has been on backorder since the middle of May.

The nice thing about the 925 is it can be run as single-speed OR a fixed-gear. Right now I have it setup as a single-speed and plan on trying it as a fixed-gear at some point in the future.

I had not ridden any bike since my old Murray two-speed that I got rid of around age 15. I rode the Redline up to work (time of the commute is almost exactly the same as by automobile) and around the neighborhood where I live. Tons of fun. I'm really happy with the purchase. I've got 5-6 weeks left of summer to get some miles on it. It seems like it will serve as pretty good metcon, as we have decent hills around here. I have a feeling I'm soon going to be lusting after a Redline Monocog (their mountain SS model).

Any body else ride SS or fixie here?
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Sam Lepore

Hey Chris--

I am a Mountain Biker and just recently bought a Niner. 29" wheels.(www.ninerbikes.com) It is geared and I love it. I have friends that ride Single Speed and will NEVER go back to geared. I have a feeling I will be going SS next summer.

I ride in Wissahickon Park in Philly. Probably some of the best and technical trails you will find in a large city (still within city limits) in the country. It is has some hills that are truly mind blowing. You will never breath this hard. These guys on the SS's ride the hills with NO Problem and in most cases are faster than the geared guys.

Enjoy the new bike Chris. Get a Mountain Bike. Look into the 29er's. It kicked my training to the next level...big time.
Sam Lepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Chris,
I have been a fixie junkie ever since I converted an old thick-tube Cannondale.

I have no interest in gears. I'd rather walk/run.

In the future I may get a SS mountain bike...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Robert Allison

My brother in-law has a SS mountain bike. I had the opportunity to give it a spin on a couple of occasions, and it was fairly brutal. Where I live (Western NC), the trails can be pretty steep.

I am pretty sure I could work up to SS, but if you're not used to that style of riding, it feels like you're losing a lung. Having said all of that, I am still looking at picking up a SS sometime next year.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

I have a trek 4500 MTB bike that is 7 years old....snapped the derailer off while riding a year ago (thank goodness the tree softened my crash landing)...so brought it to the bike shop and had it converted to a SS for $15 and now love it....the best part are the faces of people on the trails when I go buy and then they see a single speed single suspension bike whooping their ass on a hill as they wonder how come their $2000 dual suspension bike doesnt go as fast.....then again I really wouldnt mind some disc brakes to keep my forearms from going numb....

I did a road duathalon on my MTB a few years back when I had gears.....yeah, a whole slew of people on light skinny tires road bikes and then my 36lb beast with fat tires....was just for fun....but I crushed them on the hills....and then watched them blow past me at 50mph down the hill as I just sat there and ate pretzels since my gears aren't made for over 25mph...overall not a smart idea but makes for great stories......which pretty much sums up my life...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Fastest I've had my fixie up to is ~35 mph...crazy leg pumping going on!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lepore View Post
Hey Chris--

I ride in Wissahickon Park in Philly. Probably some of the best and technical trails you will find in a large city (still within city limits) in the country. It is has some hills that are truly mind blowing.
For the sake of intra-state rivalry, Frick Park in Pittsburgh also has some ridiculously nice riding for being in the center of an urban area.

Go Steelers! Boo Eagles! *chuckle*

Regards,
Mark

Last edited by Mark Fenner : 07-08-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Was riding today and realized I made a boo-boo.
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Dave Van Skike

..Have messengered on fixies, trained gobs of miles and raced track..Just built up a single speed mnt. bike to ride with a buddy who is training for SS cyclocross. It's a Fetish..was dirt cheeeep.it's kind of fun. limiting for any real epic mnt. biking in my neck o the woods, most of the climbs here are two hours plus to get anywhere good.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
John Seiler

Single speeds are the bomb-diggity. Just had my Redline Monocog stolen last week. It was an '06 in the army green with a 3:1 ratio and Avid discs. What really blows though is that the '07's are baby crap brown. I either have to find a used one or wait and hope the '08 is better looking.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Allen Yeh

I recall there was an old CFJ that talked about SS vs. fixed gear but any particular reason one or the other is better? Just curious I haven't had a bike since my Trek got stolen in college.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote