Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 03-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Greg Everett
Administrator

Default Ultimate Sandbags

We're carrying the ultimate sandbag now. These are the ones you've seen in some of our videos (black bag) - and our preferred bag. Super tough, nylon strap handles, heavy duty zipper + snap closure. We also have the velcro fller bags for them. Three sizes - 45 lb, 80 lb, and 160 lb capacities.

http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...products_id=95

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Frank Needham

I'm glad you posted that. I've got to get a sand bag together. Just the thought of flinging that thing around pisses me off and would therefore motivate me.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

We have beat the SHIT out of ours and they hold up great--including launching them overhead onto rough asphault.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Morgan Guthner

Greg - I'm an avid sandbag user and have bags up to 300lbs. I use 25"x42" and 30"x50" toploader duffles - sand poured directly into them. I use two duffles per bag to keep them somewhat durable. These bags interest me, but I prefer to dump the sand directly into the main bag to keep them soft (like a flour bag) - will this bag work with sand poured directly into it, or do I need to have inner bags?

Morgan
Morgan Guthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Morgan -

Yes and no - I've used the bags with broken innner bags for long periods of time (our medium bag is currently full of loose sand because we used bad inner bags and a lot have broken) and we've had essentially no spillage - only some really fine dust, and that only when they're thrown, etc.

That said, the loose sand may get caught up in the zipper and give you trouble opening it again. I'd suggest using at least a full-size liner bag to give you the feel you want but to help prevent any zipper problems.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Wolfgang Moebius
This message has been deleted by Wolfgang Moebius.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Morgan Guthner

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

Of course another option I forgot to mention would be using really fine gravel, like pea gravel, or even small chain.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Morgan Guthner

I tried several different designs until finding what I liked. The military duffles have worked good as long as you dont stuff them too full and drop them. Most people have no idea how strong (or conditioned) you can get with sandbags - and they're dirt cheap.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
David Marshall

I own several of these bags (1 lg., 2 med., 2 sm.) and have used them extensively with my clients and in my own training. I highly recommend them, particularly if you are training in a 'mainstream' facility (they generally frown on duct taped duffel bags pouring sand all over their floors). We have thrown, dragged, slammed, dropped and generally abused the bags and 1 year later they are still intact. For filling, I double up 'contractor strength' garbage bags on the inside and zip-tie the (garbage bags) closed. I have several of the 'filler bags', but I have found that the detract from the 'feel' I am looking for with sandbag training, as they are too rigid and inhibit the malleability of the sandbag. The filler bags can be useful in group class settings with limited equipment for very quick weight changes. You definitely do not want to put sand directly in the bag - especially if you are going overhead with it. As Greg mentioned, it will interfere with the zipper, and the bags material acts as 'filter', keeping the majority of large sand grains in, but allowing a fine dust through that is not exactly pleasing to the eyes or lungs. I did not have great luck with pea gravel directly in the bag. Even after I screened and washed it, I still got some smaller sand grains and they caused similar problems to filling directly with sand. I would suspect most readers here will patronize Catalyst Athletics, but if you end up on Josh Henkins site (the creator), I would think twice about the DVD unless your training experience or imagination is very limited.

Regards, David
David Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote