Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Larry Wright

Default Aerobic fitness.

I started CF and the Zone in Dec. I weighed around 375-380 lbs. I am now 313lbs. I am following Starting Strength and am now strictly Zoneish/Paleo. My goal is continued fatloss while building muscle and strength. I completed the physical agility test for the Sherrifs dept. on Sat. I passed the test which is amazing in it self. Couldn't have done it 6 months ago. However, I was told by the administrator that I needed to work on my aerobic fitness if I am accepted. I am still a big guy at 6'2. I don't want to tear my knees up. I've been doing some sprinting along with walking. Will the sprinting do the trick? Am I being to impatient? Is there something else I can do or need to consider?
Larry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

sprint-walk or sprint-rest intervals are fine.

Depends on how long the 'aerobic' distance is supposed to be. 400m or 800m repeats are particularly suckage but good if you need to do something like 1-4 or so miles.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Great job on the weight loss!

What is your time frame? What is the distance? How much walking have you been doing? Times per week? Duration?

I know this is contradictory to what Steven said but I would NOT recommend sprinting yet until you lose more weight. You are very correct when worry about your knees/lower body.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Larry Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post

What is your time frame? What is the distance? How much walking have you been doing? Times per week? Duration?

I know this is contradictory to what Steven said but I would NOT recommend sprinting yet until you lose more weight. You are very correct when worry about your knees/lower body.
It has been varied. If I am hired the academy will start in Sept. so I have some time but I want to take advantage of it. I have been doing 8 roughly 100 meter sprints 3-4 times a week for the past month. Sprint from starting point 1oo meters and walk back to starting point and sprint again. I've been walking 1 to 1 1/2 miles on my off nites the past couple of months. Since Jan. I have been trying to keep in mind that I don't want to hurt myself or overdo the cardio.
Larry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post

Larry,

What's the test at academy for aerobic fitness? Allan's right, sprints are a great recipe for injury until you get closer to your weight.

there's a ton of barbell or bodyweight complexes you can do in lieu of sprints for now.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Brandon Enos

Congrats! Im in the same boat actually. Down from just over 300 pounds to 250 as of Sunday. Ill be going into a sherrif's academy either this August, or Jan '09 depending on A - my preparedness (sp?) and B - if my connections can get me into the August academy (though it might be to late).

Until recently I havent ran since high school, need to get my time up to a 14 minute mile and a half. Not to mention all the running during training days.

Ive been following Starting Strength with the beggining runners program from runnersworld.com. Had to repeat the 'first week', 1-minute running (7.5 mph), 2-minutes walking (3 mph), for 4 weeks to work on form more than anything else, and no longer any expierence any ankle or knee pain. The program is an 8-week progression to a solid, 30-minute run. You might want to look into it.
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-278-0,00.html

Other than that, cant really offer much help, just tell ya what Im trying, though I still have some distance to go and am far from being an expert.

But again, congrats, I can tell ya from expierence, its a long, hard road, but your doing a damn good job.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Oh whoops, kind of glazed over the whole weight issue with knees thing. They're definitely right on that. Don't do too much yet.

Barbell complexes sounds like a good idea right now. Strong metabolic stress. As long as your diet and sleep is sound, the fat will keep on coming off.

Also, work on your running technique. NEVER land on your heels when you're running.

Darryl:

Sprinting WILL do the job for aerobic fitness *IF* the rest times are kept down. I'm not sure if you know much about the anaerobic vs. aerobic but as the sprinting volume drags on it will be more and more aerobic for energy.

I still recommend 400-800m intervals though. Those will rape you. HIIT is better for aerobic conditioning (provided enough volume but still less time than longer dirance running) than steady state running anyway. Well, at least for beginning and intermediate runners looking for aerobic conditioning + fat burn. One of the studies I looked at for HIIT vs. steady state showed that at 1/3 of the time for HIIT training (so for example, 20 minutes HIIT & 60 minutes steady state work) they had the same markers of fatty acid metabolism when all was said and done.

That's generally why metcon/hiit/tabata can complete with aerobic running in times for beginner and intermediate runners because they are significantly aerobic as the volume rises.

Last edited by Steven Low : 05-07-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Oh whoops, kind of glazed over the whole weight issue with knees thing. They're definitely right on that. Don't do too much yet.

Barbell complexes sounds like a good idea right now. Strong metabolic stress. As long as your diet and sleep is sound, the fat will keep on coming off.

Also, work on your running technique. NEVER land on your heels when you're running.

Darryl:

Sprinting WILL do the job for aerobic fitness *IF* the rest times are kept down. I'm not sure if you know much about the anaerobic vs. aerobic but as the sprinting volume drags on it will be more and more aerobic for energy.

I still recommend 400-800m intervals though. Those will rape you. HIIT is better for aerobic conditioning (provided enough volume but still less time than longer dirance running) than steady state running anyway. Well, at least for beginning and intermediate runners looking for aerobic conditioning + fat burn. One of the studies I looked at for HIIT vs. steady state showed that at 1/3 of the time for HIIT training (so for example, 20 minutes HIIT & 60 minutes steady state work) they had the same markers of fatty acid metabolism when all was said and done.

That's generally why metcon/hiit/tabata can complete with aerobic running in times for beginner and intermediate runners because they are significantly aerobic as the volume rises.
Some of the scientificals might interesting, however totally useless to the OP.

Larry, you're making a huge investement in yourself, and your career. You're agile and likley quite strong but your weight loss goals have very specific challenges.

The best advice I can give you is to get some real (not internet based) support in reaching your goal. Find a coach who has worked with people in your situation or at least find a training buddy or group to push you, prefferbly folks with similar goals.

You've got big brass balls for making it this far, don't let fitness wonks cloud your view of your goals. You're the man...Keep it up.

Dave
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

doublepost
Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Darryl:

I agree with you that sprinting and lactate threshold training will get the job done faster than LSD training and I'm sure that the OP could go straight out and start doing 400 - 800m intervals today but the training volume required to see significant results would destroy his knees. This is why I sugested a slow and steady approach of building up aerobic conditioning on a bike, which will also strengthen his knees, while he gets his weight down to a level where he can run without too much risk of injury.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote