Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Adam Gagliardi

Default new guy--form help

Hello--- new here, new to oly also...anyway, my name is Adam, and i am very interested in all of your opinions on my oly form or lack of oly form. i come from more of a PL/ strongman background.

I am currently in a Fire Academy, about 1/2 way done, and decided to learn the oly lifts while i am in somewhat of a detrained state, meaning i have bootcamp-like PT (BW stuff)every AM and have had for the past 2months, but have started to train on my own again a few days a week(starting to regain some of the lost strength, but taking it very slow as to not injure myself or wear myself out for pt ).

my main focus will be strongman, but i feel the oly lifts will benefit my training greatly. anywho...i do work with a coach, but only get to see him maybe once or twice a month. i am always interested to see what others have to say.

without wasting any more of you time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFMXZBmzhSg

thanks.
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

You're off to a good start. Some basic tips to get you going -

1. Keep working on hip and ankle flexibility to improve your bottom snatch and clean positions.

2. Don't retract your shoulderblades until the end of the 2nd pull - just hold them neutral.

3. When you lift from the hang (above knee - mid-thigh), you want max speed right away - there should be no slow section in there.

4. Keep your weight farther back on your feet - don't let yourself jump forward.

5. When you pull under the bar, force your elbows up and to the sides - right now you're swinging the bar forward.

6. In your clean and snatch, force your knees forward to bring your hips in under your shoulders more (this is a flexibility thing - it will take a while).

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Adam Gagliardi

Greg --- thanks for the tips, i will def work on those, i guess i should add the only lift i've been shown is the dead hang clean, so thats pretty much the only thing ive been working on since i just started this oly stuff 3 weeks ago.....also, very glad i signed up for PM, great stuff in there, really liked the odd object article.....again, thanks for the tips
Old 06-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Leslie Poole

Adam,

I think on the OHS your chest is going pretty far forward, but I can't say for sure that it's too far.
Also, on your cleans, looks like you're a bit shy of full extension of your hips.
I think I see a big of a butt-wink when you squat, which I believe indications tight hamstrings.
Deadlifts look like they use a lot more back at the beginning than legs.
Some of the hang cleans look like they are being bounced off the thighs, rather than shrugged up.
Also, keep the good posture in the back. Looked like it rounded a bit when you come out of the squat.

Do you ever lift straight off the floor? I tend to bank the bar off my thighs on a hang clean, but find it easier to jump it up to full extension, keeping the bar close to my body, when I lift straight from the floor.

I hope this is helpful and doesn't come across as overly critical. I can be overly enthusiastic about o lift training and technique. Good luck!
Leslie Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Poole View Post
Adam,

I think on the OHS your chest is going pretty far forward, but I can't say for sure that it's too far.
--This is def the case
Also, on your cleans, looks like you're a bit shy of full extension of your hips.
--most likely true
I think I see a big of a butt-wink when you squat, which I believe indications tight hamstrings.
--
Deadlifts look like they use a lot more back at the beginning than legs.
Some of the hang cleans look like they are being bounced off the thighs, rather than shrugged up.
Also, keep the good posture in the back. Looked like it rounded a bit when you come out of the squat.

Do you ever lift straight off the floor?
--- just started to
I tend to bank the bar off my thighs on a hang clean, but find it easier to jump it up to full extension, keeping the bar close to my body, when I lift straight from the floor.

---i will be making a new vid shortly, that hopefully will show improved form, but w/o access to a coach, its hard

I hope this is helpful and doesn't come across as overly critical. I can be overly enthusiastic about o lift training and technique. Good luck!
--please feel free, if i didnt want advice, i would not have posted it, ... i feel i know a good amount about PL and strongman, but nothing of OLY
Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
John Alston

Dan John is great source for oly training and a champion Highland Gamesman so I think he'll have a lot of applicable info for you in that mix of explosion, strongman, etc. He's a big fan of farmer walk, for example.
danjohn.org/
his forum hosted by Dave Draper: http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/s...um.php?fid/73/