Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Peter Haas

Default Snatch critique

Video is from Saturday's (7/12) workout. Weight is 210lbs for all three attempts.

http://www.vimeo.com/1340158

I was able to pull it high enough, but couldn't support it. Any insight on what's going wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I nailed my pubic bone on all 3 attempts. This was very painful and I'm still sore, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. Again, if anybody knows why this is happening and how to fix it, please let me know.

Thank you.
Peter Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

First off - I'd want to get your hips lower in the start. Try to set you up with your arms vertical and bar over the base of your toes. Your start position there just has you too far forward from the get go. Watch the profile one and you'll see that the moment you start, the bar rolls forward - instead, the second that bar separates, it needs to be sweeping back toward you (and you need to be basically sitting back). Good with flaring the knees to get them out of the way though.

So with that, you're basically chasing after the bar as it tries to escape forward, which is why your hips bang into it, although it's not too dramatic. You're jumping forward an inch or so in order to receive it - this is all because of that initial forward pull of the bar. Try to jump 1/4 inch backward - thinking of that should help you correct your weight balance on the feet.

Finally, the turnover power just isn't there (and it's hard for it to be there with the above). You have pretty good gas on the second pull, but that 3rd is considerably slower. Do you ever do heavy muscle snatches? I seem to recall you having trouble with tall snatches.... That would make sense (if I'm right that it was you) because that seems to be your weak point.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Peter Haas

Greg, thank you for your response and critique.

I lowered my hips at the start and worked on jumping a bit backwards. Its a bit weird to get used to, but I don't feel like I'm "chasing" the bar with my hips anymore, and the pull is stronger and smoother.

What is your definition of a heavy muscle snatch? My max snatch is 205lbs, but I've only worked up to 125lbs on a muscle snatch. The comment I had before was about problems with tall cleans, but it applies equally to tall snatches. Should I invest time into building up weight on the tall snatch and muscle snatch?

Also, my start for the clean is very similar to the snatch (spine of scapula above bar). Does my start for this need to be lower w/ arms vertical also?

Thank you again for your critique.
Peter Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

A heavy muscle snatch would be a heavy single - with a 205 snatch, I'd expect about a 135 lb muscle snatch max, so you're pretty close there.

Clean start should be the same as the snatch, although you'll have a more upright back angle because of the narrower grip - but vertical arms.

Scap spine over bar is fine for DLing, but the snatch and clean are not DLs, and if you try to approach them as such, you're going to limit yourself.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote