Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Anton Emery

Default knee pain during deep cleans

Hi Everyone,

I was practicing my cleans the other day, pulling from the floor and landing in a rock bottom front squat. After the workout and the next day i felt pain in knees. I am wondering if my knees are not in line with my feet. When i have someone watch and they say it looks fine, but doing heavier cleans it may not be perfect on every rep. Does anyone know of any muscle imbalances that might cause this problem, or stretches i should be doing?

My right foot naturally turns out a bit, its been that way since birth. So sometimes when i jump my feet from the pulling to receiving position my right foot goes out to wide. I have been working to fix it, doing drills with the PVC and paying attention to my foot position. Its getting more consistent, but is not perfect yet.

thanks in advance.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Justin Fricke

with ou ta video it is hard saying. If your knees are buckling (going in) when it is heavy then the wieght is to much. Practice front squats with a medium heavy weight and do them with speed both on the concentris and ecentric movements-But do them with control. Also if your knees are buckling then you Abductors might and probly are weak. Doint some single leg single arm DB RDLs will help-Works the Glute (which are used in abduction) Pistol squats could help as well. Spread the ground as you squat in any variation. But a Video in taken from the front and side will help the most. And yes if your knees are not tracking over you toes they will hurt it is also a quick way to the surgeon if done over time.
Justin Fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Justin Fricke

you also need to think more about using your hips first, and squating inbetween you legs and not with your legs-if you know what i mean
Justin Fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Do you know if your leg is like that because of a biomechanical deformity in bone structure or if you can correct it through internal rotation work and external rotation stretching?

You shouldn't be "bottoming" out in a squat, when you get under the bar it's a deceleration 'til you hit the bottom where the stretch reflex takes over. Not second pull and then third pull to the bottom of the squat..
Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Did you get your squat width fixed since the cert? Full ROM squats at that width would probably cause buckling...

And yes, make sure you're not crashing down - you should be in control during the clean.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
sarena kopciel

Find someone that does this work. From my simple understanding after discussion with my coach and then the way you even phrase the question (since birth...), you may easily have one leg shorter than another (leg length discrepancy). You may be squatting too heavy for your body as well!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote