Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 08-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Default Piriformis?

Recently I've developed a pain in the left glute, near the hamstring. Possible causes are "sitting" in the bottom of the lifts, losing tension in the legs and/or a tendency for my left foot to be slightly behind the right in the receiving stance.

I found that using a wider stance and pushing my knees out a lot harder seems to help a little, but not entirely.

So pretty much - how do I fix it and keep it from happening again (preferably fixed very soon since there's a meet in the middle of August)?
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

stretch it out....along with your hamstrings...they are too tight and you are slightly tearing it or the tendon.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Those seem to stretch the outside of my hip more - the pain is nowhere near there. It's closer to the groin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mis_muscle.PNG wfs (or do we have to do that here?)

Okay, see the belly of the piriformis? Now see the white thing below it (tendon?)? It's more around there. I'm inept when it comes to computer image technology, so that's about the best description I can give.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Hamstring origin. Foam roll on it (or you may even have to sit on a tennis ball to really get to it) and do bent-knee hamstring stretches.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Those seem to stretch the outside of my hip more - the pain is nowhere near there. It's closer to the groin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mis_muscle.PNG wfs (or do we have to do that here?)

Okay, see the belly of the piriformis? Now see the white thing below it (tendon?)? It's more around there. I'm inept when it comes to computer image technology, so that's about the best description I can give.
Then it's not the pirformis, most likely a hamstring issue....unless the pain comes around front...those are groin issues (I know that well from experience).
Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Jamie Crichton

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the piriformis is an external rotator of the hip. So why do we recommend flexing and externally rotating the hip as a stretch for the piriformis? I see this stretch everywhere, and while it is a nice feeling stretch which I do often myself, surely it can't be putting the piriformis in a stretched position?
Jamie Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Default hip mobility rules.

piriformis is a deep muscle that is closely integrated with several other extensors and external rotators. what makes it tricky is that it often refers pain down the leg, you can feel it all the way don the leg to the hamstring insertion at the tib.

I don't personally get much from chiropractic but you might try having a really expert massage or chiro look at your sacrum alignment. a slight tweak to this joint can hold one side of the pelvis in a rotated position slightly forward or back of the other side resulting in pain exactly where you describe. pain referred to hams, and glute medius.

just recovered from a similar tweak
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Crichton View Post
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the piriformis is an external rotator of the hip. So why do we recommend flexing and externally rotating the hip as a stretch for the piriformis? I see this stretch everywhere, and while it is a nice feeling stretch which I do often myself, surely it can't be putting the piriformis in a stretched position?
Not quite sure, but it does seem to help a lot of people. I think it's mostly cause everything's tight in there so doing it will stretch a lot of things.

Stretching the LIMIT of external rotation and internal rotation are both good though. Much like you would do for a baseball pitcher with internal and external rotation to maintain mobility. Regardless, I'd say do both (internal and external of hip).

Internal rotation stretch (courtesy of I think one of Cressey's articles):

But yeah, it does seem hamstring in origin not piriformis like people have said. I'd work it all though: internal/external rotation and strengthening, Massage (tennis ball) everything in the hip, maybe some heat.