Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default Rowing

I've thought about this before and the other day as I was rowing and my left hand/arm started to go numbish around 3500m's I started thinking about this again.

Does constant use of the rower/rowing lead to shoulder problems? We all know that an imbalance of push pulls internal/external rotation can lead to a variety of shoulder problems/pain, posture problems, strength imbalances (i.e. people that bench all the time improperly and without training balance or even pushups (I see people in the US Army all the time with the shoulders rounded forward look)). Wouldn't rowing for 1000's of meters a week lead to a problem in the long run?

Just musing about it and I don't know any rowers otherwise I'd jsut ask them! Thanks!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

If you're getting numbness, that suggests nerve impingement/disruption, so not sure on the overuse idea, but i guess it's possible. might be getting some pronounced enough inflammation to compress a nerve, but that's a shot in the dark. are there any other movements or positions that cause the same feeling? any past injuries that resulted in numbness/tingling? how's your shoulder/arm flexibility/ROM? any pain or discomfort prior to the appearance of the numbness?

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Robb Wolf

Dito what Greg said. Where is the numbness? Pinky and ring finger? Thumb and forefinger? Damnit Allen, Tell us Man!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
If you're getting numbness, that suggests nerve impingement/disruption, so not sure on the overuse idea, but i guess it's possible. might be getting some pronounced enough inflammation to compress a nerve, but that's a shot in the dark.

1. are there any other movements or positions that cause the same feeling?
2. any past injuries that resulted in numbness/tingling?
3. how's your shoulder/arm flexibility/ROM?
4. any pain or discomfort prior to the appearance of the numbness?
I numbered the questions for ease of answering:
1. No numbness that I've noticed before, but I have notcied the last 2 weeks of strict overhead pressing on the last 2 sets or so my left arm/shoulder would feel a bit off, not pain but sort of a twinge, nothing from horizontal pressing/pulling.
2. None in my left arm, I did use to get numb feet a few years back when I would do elliptical for 40 minutes at a time at 6 in the morning on an empty stomach (Thanks muscle and fitness! ha!)
3. Seems to be decent, I have been paying pretty close attention to my shoulders since March and reading up on pretty much Eric Cressey writes up about it. I've done a few tests here and there that I've seen in some articles written up and it seems to be ok, do you have any tests you like?
4. None, actually I just noticed it kind of all of a sudden, it didn't seem to get any worse, it seemed to be along my forearm in my pinkie and ring finger. Next time I row, I'll pay attention to the specifics, I kind of shrugged it off at the time as to not being used to rowing 3500m+ at once.

This didn't really belong in the above questions but it does have to do with my shoulder health, In February my wife got me a KB for V-day and I noticed when I did KB snatches my shoulders would start to "click" (no problem from barbell snatch) after that I started to pay a lot of attention to them in order to address that problem with a regimen of shoulder dislocates, YTWL raises, windmills, cuban presses, scap pushups and other exercises/stretches I found through my research, now when I do KB/DB snatches I experience no clicking.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Allen Yeh

I rowed today again and found that I was wrong the first time it was my thumb index, middle and ring fingers that were going numbish around 2000m's but by the end the numbness was gone.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

Allen-
Sounds like Brachial Plexus/Radial nerve impingement. Do some dislocates with a broomstick really emphasizing the pec stretch. See if that helps. Also! Make sure you are sitting tall when rowing. Don't let the posture slump furward as this can exacerbate impingement.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
Allen-
Don't let the posture slump furward as this can exacerbate impingement.

um...oops!

Thanks Robb, back to the broomstick it is. Is there any reason the numbness would just come and go?