Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default First day of BJJ

First class today. 2 hrs. intro and free roll with another newbie and an experienced blue-belt who just worked position with me (i.e., I tried to pass guard and he would let me after awhile, then regain, or let me walk into a sub, then give me some guidance.)

Very congenial atmosphere. Everyone seems to want to help and not just crush the new guys or hurt each other.

Thought I was in decent shape untill i rolled with a 230lbs experienced guy. Holy crap! Need to work on static-strength endurance. Holding guard for long periods was hard on the inside of my knees, but they have loosened back up already.

Got caught with 2 deep guillotines, now I cannot turn my next to the left. How do I loosen this thing back up?

Anyways, great first class and I look forward to more.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
John Vernon

Start taking a COLD shower after EVERY class. This is most helpful with those day after aches & pains, not to mention helping ward off staph & ringworm. Contrast showers are also a good option if you don't want to go 100% cold.

BJJ practice + Contrast Shower = Sleeping like a baby.

As far as the neck goes: ice massage, gentle rom stretches, massage, maybe some heat after the first day. Comes with the territory. If I remember correctly my neck took a good month to get used to bjj.

Sounds like you've got a nice school. I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it.
John Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
garrett stack

Best thing you can do for your neck or any other part of you as someone new to Bjj is to tap when someone has the sub in place not when they are cranking it to submit you.
Learning to stop them getting the position on you is far more important than escaping it once its on.
Lots of smaller guys end up with neck problems from trying to muscle out of holds by bigger guys. Eventually it will catch up on you.
Neck strengthening and stretching is very important.
The gym I train in always does some strengthening stuff as part of the warmup and ROM stretches after, it really helps.
I also found cleans to have a good carryover here as well.
Hope that helps a little.
garrett stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Yael Grauer

Make sure that you are rolling on your shoulders and not neck... something I'm still working on. Also I think it's okay to try to stick to your weight class if you're getting injured a lot and if it's an option.

Have fun!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Derek Simonds

Welcome to the club. There is nothing like being on the mat. It is one of the few times in life where my mind is actually still.

The hardest thing to ever get used to is relaxing on the mat. I was told it so many times and now I find myself telling others a lot. It is one of those relax and enjoy the ride kind of deals.

The static strength thing is something very interesting to me. I train a lot of dynamic strength stuff and the only real static strength stuff I do is planks. I don't know if there is an exercise that you can do that simulates holding someone in the guard position. That might be one of those sport specific strengths that develop as you develop.

Feel free to ask anytime you have a question. I log all my BJJ training in my training log in addition to my strength workouts.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Welcome to the club. There is nothing like being on the mat. It is one of the few times in life where my mind is actually still.
Interesting.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
The static strength thing is something very interesting to me. I train a lot of dynamic strength stuff and the only real static strength stuff I do is planks. I don't know if there is an exercise that you can do that simulates holding someone in the guard position. That might be one of those sport specific strengths that develop as you develop.
If you ever flick through the schedule pages at Gym Jones you see they do a lot of static holds. I used to assume that this was climbing related but most of the guys you see featured are fighters of some kind.

Examples would be:
  • Holds in the guard hanging from a heavy bag
  • Holds in various positions on the rings
  • The 30/30 stuff they do. Like tabatas but 30 seconds work/30 seconds 'rest' for 4 mins. I guess the signature is the 30/30 push press with dbs. You rest with the dbs in extension. Even with very light weights this hurts. Alternatively squats with the rest in the bottom position.
  • Planks, as you've mentioned
  • The now ubiquitous Sloshpipe in various hellish configurations.

Even the windshield wipers that everyone got so excited about after 300 in their quest for da buffest Spartan abz look good be considered - you hold 60kg above you in lockout while you work the trunk.

I wonder also if the isometric stuff that Ross discusses (at quite considerable length) in both Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless would have carryover.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Ben Langford

If you're getting sore on the inside of your knees from holding a closed guard that means you're probably squeezing your knees quite tight in your effort to hold on.

You actually want loose and relaxed knees when holding a closed guard and to be fairly tight where the ankles cross. This makes it easier to perform breakdowns and enables faster transitions to sweeps, submissions and sit outs.

This will come with time anyway but I think if someone had actually told me this I would have progressed a lot faster.
Ben Langford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Langford View Post
If you're getting sore on the inside of your knees from holding a closed guard that means you're probably squeezing your knees quite tight in your effort to hold on.

You actually want loose and relaxed knees when holding a closed guard and to be fairly tight where the ankles cross. This makes it easier to perform breakdowns and enables faster transitions to sweeps, submissions and sit outs.

This will come with time anyway but I think if someone had actually told me this I would have progressed a lot faster.
Ah, I get it. I will give that a shot. Thanks.

Day two tonight. Things went a lot better. But I will detail it in my log.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote