Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly
Senior Member
 
Patrick Donnelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 720
Default Gastric Bypass Alternative

http://www.trueresults.com/faq.asp

So, basically, they put an adjustable rubber band around your gut to reduce the amount you can eat, rather than cutting off a large chunk of it. This makes it much more safe than gastric by-pass surgery. I'm not seeing any explicit pricing, but I assume it'd be cheaper too. I'm fairly certain that few people here would call this a good thing, as it just enforces bad eating habits and the "there's always an easy way out" mentality, but for those seriously contemplating gastric bypass, this seems to be a better alternative. The next step is to just get people to no longer need gastric bypass surgery!


On a side note, if I decide to move up to the 105kg weightlifting class (currently in the middle of the 94kg), I'll be "obese" by BMI standards, and qualify for the Lap-Band. Hah.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Yep. Epic phailure.

We need more self control and personal responsibility in the U.S.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Yup, Kaiser Permanente's been doing lap bands for a while.

It pisses me off.

My favorite Gastric Bypass Alternative is... eating less and moving more. Works wonders.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,738
Default

super charming to judge from the sidelines and talk about self control. I dare anyone to spend a day with a patient who has a metabolic disorder or better yet a week with someone post lap band surgery. it's a brutal, brutal choice and incredibly ignorant to think any of the choices are an "easy way out".

Judge not, lest some fat kid beat the crap out of you.
__________________
Practical Strength
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Good point Dave, though I did date a girl for a long while who was in the process of developing a very severe metabolic disorder and ended up requiring medical and psychiatric intervention, though it was anorexia... opposite end of the spectrum, just as nasty and unhealthy. And you're right, it's not fun, it's a brutal experience for all involved.

My personal problem, is that KP patients who are candidates for the Lap Band are monitored and "forced" to exhibit self control and weight loss of a certain percentage or number of pounds before they can be approved. Why not just push them the whole way to a "healthy" bodyweight?

There are those who have thyroid issues (my uncle is one of them), and other hormonal disorders over which they have zero control, and a Lap Band or Gastric Bypass is a good way of implementing rather severe caloric restriction to help aleviate the weight issue and improve the quality of life. I have zero problem in this case. Certainly a good thing.

For most others though, self control is all that's needed. It's not easy, but it is simple. The sad truth is that we enable in this country, and we have a whole generation of children likely to die before their parents as proof of it.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just sad at the state of what's happening with our population.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Chris Forbis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 836
Default

60 Minutes did a piece on gastric bypass that was interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4023451.shtml

I found it especially interesting that removal of the duodenum makes diabetes (type II, I assume) go away, independent of body weight and stomach removal.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Dave Van Skike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Good point Dave, though I did date a girl for a long while who was in the process of developing a very severe metabolic disorder and ended up requiring medical and psychiatric intervention, though it was anorexia... opposite end of the spectrum, just as nasty and unhealthy. And you're right, it's not fun, it's a brutal experience for all involved.

My personal problem, is that KP patients who are candidates for the Lap Band are monitored and "forced" to exhibit self control and weight loss of a certain percentage or number of pounds before they can be approved. Why not just push them the whole way to a "healthy" bodyweight?

There are those who have thyroid issues (my uncle is one of them), and other hormonal disorders over which they have zero control, and a Lap Band or Gastric Bypass is a good way of implementing rather severe caloric restriction to help aleviate the weight issue and improve the quality of life. I have zero problem in this case. Certainly a good thing.

For most others though, self control is all that's needed. It's not easy, but it is simple. The sad truth is that we enable in this country, and we have a whole generation of children likely to die before their parents as proof of it.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just sad at the state of what's happening with our population.

Derek the anorexia tie in is very apt. Anorexia and morbid obesity are not simply metabolic nor purely psychological issues, they're both.

Both are severe addictions, and expecting anyone to suck it up and just quit is dismissive and ignorant...not than anyone here would do that, but there is a prevailing tone among members of any "fitness" arena to take an evangelical approach to these kind of issues.
__________________
Practical Strength
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
George Mounce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 945
Default

The number one thing people with any kind of problem need is help. While we may find help to be through changes in habit, unfortunately that may not always be the answer. I won't lie, I think its weak-willed to need something unnatural to change a habit (surgery to change one's stomach). Of course I'm one to talk (and you can all laugh at me) I'm extremely addicted to MMORPG video games. No lie, I'd go on 48-hour playing marathons, which is why I had to quit playing MMORPGs. They were taking over my life.

Funny thing is you don't find many anorexic people in nation's plagued by starvation. So to me its another byproduct (like my lame video game addiction) of something in our "modern" society, fueled by the need of many to feel socially accepted to an extreme.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Derek the anorexia tie in is very apt. Anorexia and morbid obesity are not simply metabolic nor purely psychological issues, they're both.

Both are severe addictions, and expecting anyone to suck it up and just quit is dismissive and ignorant...not than anyone here would do that, but there is a prevailing tone among members of any "fitness" arena to take an evangelical approach to these kind of issues.
As usual Dave you make awesome points. Any addiction is a combination of physical and psychological factors, yet like Philip said, how many people who are morbidly obese have the genetic factor working against them as well?

Many may, but I have a hard time believing that the majority do in fact suffer from addiction. Like I said in my original response, Lap Band candidates for KP are required to go on low carbohydrate, low calorie diets and do periodic check ins for weight loss. Why has nobody stopped and gone "Wait a second, we can all lose the weight without surgery... yet we're still going to have it?" I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's easy, I think it is a very difficult decision to make. However, I think we live in a society that "thrives" on instant (or near instant) gratification. Lap Bands and Gastric Bypasses offer quicker results than reading literature, signing up for a gym (or not, gyms aren't entirely necessary), and if needed joining a support structure (Weight Watchers). All of that is likely cheaper as well.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator