Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Colm OReilly

Default Clean Critique Please

Hey,

If any of you fine gentlemen could critique my cleans for me. I'm a CrossFitter with extremely limited exposure to the O-Lifts.

http://www.vimeo.com/2116732

These are 1RM efforts, each lift is slown down to 50%, and includes a few failures as well.

Thanks,

Colm
Colm OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Bill Ripley

Hopefully some with more knowledge than I will offer some fine points, but those look pretty darn good to me. Nice work.
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Looks to me like:

1. Gotta drop under the bar faster and lower -- you could've made it under with the 80 kg if you were faster underneath the bar and able to drop lower.

2. Not getting total full extension with the hips

Greg will probably post later when he gets around to it but that's all that jumped out to me.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

What Steven said. Some other things I noticed...

Your back position. Specifically, your thoracic spine is hunched over during the lift. Chest up.

You tend to be somewhat inclined forward in your front squat. Get your torso as upright as you can. Although I'm having some trouble with the anthropometrical calculations here, I'm getting the impression that your narrow squat stance might be contributing to this. At least, that's been my experience. Greg?
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Colm -

This is based on one run through the video (actually 75% of it), so forgive me if I missed any finer details.

As the weight gets heavier, you start losing that good first pull posture, i.e. you start leading with your hips, which shifts your weight forward. Then you're chasing the bar, so you can't quite extend fully, you have to jump forward a bit, the rack position is less secure, and it's tougher to stabilize the torso. Fight that by trying to lift the chest throughout, and make sure when you DL and pull that you're doing the same - more posterior chain emphasis strength work will exacerbate the problem.

Try widening your grip. Hard to see as well as I'd like, but I'd venture to say taking the hands out will give you a better rack and speed up that turnover of the bar. Try a width that, when the bar is at your shoulders like you're going to press, your forearms are about vertical when viewed from the front.

The moment the bar leaves the floor, get back on your heels and stay there.

Keep that bar a little closer as you pull under. It looks like you may be gripping the bar too tightly for too long - allow the hands to relax as your elbows come around (forearms about vertical) and just drive the elbows up. that will keep the elbows pivoting around the bar instead of the other way around.

Finally, commit! All those misses should have been easy makes, but you gave up - they were high enough for power cleans.

All in all, quite good actually.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Colm OReilly

Thanks for the critiques guys.

I'll take it onboard, work the technique more and the drills described in the book, watch the clean section of the dvd again and post again in a week or so if that's okay?

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Colm
Colm OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote