Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Mandy LaGreca

Default Paleo diet?

I keep reading about the Paleo diet going well with IF.

Does the Fat Flush diet by Anne Louise Gittleman count? I have had quite success with that program,even without fasting.

She advocates a diet of lean protein, veggies, some fruit, flaxseed oil and at some point Ezekiel bread and other "friendly carbs" and fats such as nuts, etc....
Mandy LaGreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy LaGreca View Post
I keep reading about the Paleo diet going well with IF.

Does the Fat Flush diet by Anne Louise Gittleman count? I have had quite success with that program,even without fasting.

She advocates a diet of lean protein, veggies, some fruit, flaxseed oil and at some point Ezekiel bread and other "friendly carbs" and fats such as nuts, etc....
IF + healthy food choices will always give better results. If I remember that Fat Flush diet it was based around some low carb and then cycle into zone like proportions (all diets work because of calorie deficit and insulin control)? It's been a while since I heard that name. In the end, just eat foods that are made in nature and you should do well.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Mandy LaGreca

I hear what you are saying, but its not that cut dry for me. This is gonna sound crazy, but I need to be on a "program" to feel like I am doing something. Otherwise I just wing it, pick bad choices, and then end up spinning my wheels and going nowhere. I wish it was just as easy as "make healthier choices", but for me, I end up overeating that way. I dont have a good handle of estimating if I am at a deficit or not.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Fenthis Glusos

It is very simple, if you're overweight and something tastes "decadent" spit it out and scarf down a tin of sardines + some garlic/onion to counter-act it and don't eat traditional DIET junk foods (sweetened yogurts, pretzels, colas shit like that). It's fine to consume some non-fruit sugar once in a while though, just as long as your diet is in check and the sugar is in moderate amounts every once in a while. I'm not perfect either, especially with desserts like fig newtons and chocolate-covered pretzels strewn about my living quarters, but I'm getting better.

Instead, eat mostly plants, then some meat, maybe some dairy. If you're not insulin-resistant you can get away eating some more minimally-processed grain foods as well. Forget about grain-fed this, omega-3 that for right now and just begin to eat whole foods - if that entails eating one too many almonds, so be it. The almonds won't damage you.

Don't eat to be healthy just eat to MINIMIZE damage -- that's what I always say when questioned why I eat as I do (being naturally thin).
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Mandy LaGreca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenthis Glusos View Post
It is very simple, if you're overweight and something tastes "decadent" spit it out and scarf down a tin of sardines + some garlic/onion to counter-act it and don't eat traditional DIET junk foods (sweetened yogurts, pretzels, colas shit like that). It's fine to consume some non-fruit sugar once in a while though, just as long as your diet is in check and the sugar is in moderate amounts every once in a while. I'm not perfect either, especially with desserts like fig newtons and chocolate-covered pretzels strewn about my living quarters, but I'm getting better.

Instead, eat mostly plants, then some meat, maybe some dairy. If you're not insulin-resistant you can get away eating some more minimally-processed grain foods as well. Forget about grain-fed this, omega-3 that for right now and just begin to eat whole foods - if that entails eating one too many almonds, so be it. The almonds won't damage you.

Don't eat to be healthy just eat to MINIMIZE damage -- that's what I always say when questioned why I eat as I do (being naturally thin).
I am already at that point. I have already lost 20lbs, and been plateauing with the last 10 lbs for 6 months now. This is why its gotten so complicated. The first 20lbs were easy. I ate clean, had a few cheat meals a week and lost weight. Now I am stuck.

To break this is going to take something a little more drastic. And more exercise isnt the answer for me, I am a fitness instructor and teach 6 days a week.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Fenthis Glusos

Quote:
I am already at that point. I have already lost 20lbs, and been plateauing with the last 10 lbs for 6 months now. This is why its gotten so complicated. The first 20lbs were easy. I ate clean, had a few cheat meals a week and lost weight. Now I am stuck.

To break this is going to take something a little more drastic. And more exercise isnt the answer for me, I am a fitness instructor and teach 6 days a week.
Perhaps you plateaued because your body has already achieved it's desired weight. Maybe losing 10lbs won't do you any good, why not just try and convert that extra 10lbs or so of fat (assuming that's what it is and the problem here) into muscle tissue instead? Weight bares little relevance to most everything -- I would just focus on the mirror instead... and converting fat into muscle won't necessarily bulk you up, like the concerns many females have, but will cause you to lean out.

good luck
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
joe waguespack

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but its not that cut dry for me. This is gonna sound crazy, but I need to be on a "program" to feel like I am doing something. Otherwise I just wing it, pick bad choices, and then end up spinning my wheels and going nowhere. I wish it was just as easy as "make healthier choices", but for me, I end up overeating that way. I dont have a good handle of estimating if I am at a deficit or not.
Mandy, I hear ya. I have tried many many times to throw out my scale and try the just eat healthy foods when I'm hungry approach. I always go back to weighing and measuring , it's just a habit to me at this point and it's always easy to make changes when you know exactly what you are doing. The Zone was what I started with and then eventually moved into Zone/Paleo'ish mix. Eventually I was IF'ing with Zone ratios and Paleo foods. If you are anything like me you need to start off very strict and OCD about things until you get a handle on it and then loosen up the reigns a bit. I have seen people get the best results that weighed and measured and were super strict at the beginning. The Zone is a little to regimented for some , but I think it is a great "diet" for people to learn how to eat. I learned a lot by following it. I found that I didn't need massive amounts of protein and I didn't need to stay away from fat or cut my carbs super low. Just my opinion but if you are looking for a "program" to follow I would suggest picking up a copy of Enter the Zone and give it a try.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

If you want rules....then No breads...No cereals....No rice.....only fruits, veggies, lean meats and some healthy fats....cheat 1x a week. That will work wonders.....that and fast 2x a week by skipping breakfast and eating Noon-6pm. From there you can pick and choose what to do next.