Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Mandy LaGreca

Default how much is too much

How many calories are too much in one sitting? I was starving today after my workout and wanted to tear the fridge apart, and ate alot rather quickly....and it makes me wonder, how much is too much after the fast?

1000? 2000?

At what point does it become sumo-wrestler like?
Mandy LaGreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

The short answer is that you'll likely find out on your own.

If you're getting fat and feeling like crap it's too much. If you feel better, body comp. is where you want it, then it's fine.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Mandy LaGreca

when the food is Paleo-like (veggies, protein and fats), I feel good even if the volume of food is big.

When I introduce other foods, I feel like crap. Today we went out to eat, and I ate enough to feel crappy. So I guess that was my answer.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Susie Rosenberg

Mandy: be careful, the biggest mistake with IF is to use a day's fast as an excuse to eat garbage. You're better off eating regularly if you can't stick to paleo foods to break your fast.

Also, be aware that all the studies show health benefits to IF in animal models, but that human studies are not numerous. The very few studies---like 1 or 2 that I know of---that include women show impaired insulin sensitivity in female IF'ers as compared to men.

Having said that, I did IF for some months and felt well, maintained my (lean) weight, and did fine athletically. But I added IF to an already cleaned diet. I just didn't feel that much better, nor have such better health indices, to give up the pleasure of eating more regularly.

I would recommend getting the paleo diet down first, then adding IF. Making such radical changes all at once is not likely to last.

Susie
Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy LaGreca View Post
At what point does it become sumo-wrestler like?
When you start looking like one....or adding 20 beers to dinner.

Bigger meals is not really possible if you plan on eating "real" foods....but it becomes an issue if you add in processed and higher carb sources. 1 meal a day of high carbs is not going to help improve insulin sensitivity or body composition. Meals should be spread out to make sure you are first getting in enough protein and then to make sure you meet your calorie load. The more proccessed the foods, the more meals you probably need to keep insulin under control...hence the zone method works when you eat cereal, bars, and other crap...but it's food choices that should come first.

Just remember.....IF can work....IFOC (IF on Crap) does not.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Gittit Shwartz

Mandy - I eat Warrior Diet style these days and I've been taking in 1000-1300 kCal in the one nightly meal. Paleo food only, and low-carb as well. I agree with everyone on here, get Paleo eating down first before messing with IF. It's a potent tool that can also easily go very wrong on you (been there).
Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Mandy LaGreca

I should have been clear... I rarely eat processed stuff unless its intentional (usually happens when I am emotional eating), but 90% of my planned eats are very clean, and Paleo or Paleo-like
Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
Gittit Shwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy LaGreca View Post
I should have been clear... I rarely eat processed stuff unless its intentional (usually happens when I am emotional eating), but 90% of my planned eats are very clean, and Paleo or Paleo-like
Keep it up

WD eating pretty much short-circuited my urge to binge (since there's a daily clean "binge" built in to the plan). I didn't do as well on IF with a more open window.