Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Chris H Laing

Default Get Awesome!!! oly and gymnastic log

Like it says i wanna get awesome...like really awesome. And nothing would be awesomer than to be able to do a full front lever and snatch bodyweight

With some help from people on this forum, i've come up with a program to work on oly lifting and gymnastics movements which are what i'm really interested in.
It goes like this:
mon - snatch tech, snatch strength, gymnastic push, gymnastic pull
tues - snatch and c&j tech, metcon
wed - c&j tech, c&j strength, gymnastic pull
thurs - snatch and c&j tech, metcon
fri - rest
sat - snatch, c&j, back squat (this day is a testing day for the oly lifts, and has back squats in for generic strength work because I didn't want to leave BS out completely)
sun - rest

Ill be doing the Boz OHS warmup, and the Burgener warm up before every workout, and will try to get a stretching or foam rolling session in after every workout.

If anyone has any ideas, i'm all ears

The gymnastic pushes are ring dips and hspu and the gymnastic pulls are weighted pullups, invert ecc. 2 hang, and fl prog. pullups.

I'm in the process of making a lot of home exercise equipment, like a medicine ball, a sandbag, and i have dumbells and i'm getting a kettlebell. I'm also getting a few tires for sled drags, box jumps, blah blah. These kinda things are what most of my metcons are gunna involve.

My diet is mostly paleo, with whole milk in the winter for extra calories, and cuz it tastes so good. i'm not worrying about zone because i did it for a while and it sucks...i like being able to eat whenever i want. I'll also be doing IF a couple times a week.

Now onto the workout of the day...

3 rounds for time:
500 m row
15 deadlifts, 155 lbs

time = 11:15

My butt hurt so much after rowing, and i was always light headed going into the deadlifts. The deadliifts were really light, but i still dont have the metcon capacity i had when following crossfit mainsite back, so i was breathing pretty heavily. Did it with my friend on the crew team at my school, and both rowed the first 500 m in 1:45, which is pretty cool since I haven't rowed in months.

Starting the above workout program on monday...pretty excited.
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Chris H Laing

No workout today, but i went rock climbing at the local racquet club, which was kind of like a pulling workout...i guess?

Oly lifting starts tomorrow...cant wait!

Also I forgot to mention some of my goals.
They are:
bw c&j --> 1.5x bw c&j
.75x bw snatch --> bw snatch
5 sec front lever
.5 bw weighted pullup --> bw weighted pullup --> OAC
full rom HSPU --> fs HSPU --> fs full rom HSPU

I'd also like to increase my strength in front, back, and overhead squats but I don't really have any certain goals for them at the moment...pretty much just get them stronger cuz theyre all really weak.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Derek Simonds

Welcome to the training logs. Looks like you have a great idea of what you are doing.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Chris Salvato

gl man and good way to start the log, im am interested in seeing how your programming will work out for you... -- go slow on learning the techs -- u will be happy you did later!
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

We'll see. I still don't think you're doing to have enough volume... although you're just starting so we'll see how it turns out. If you feel like you can add a bit more after a week or two then I would go for it based on how it looks right now.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
We'll see. I still don't think you're doing to have enough volume... although you're just starting so we'll see how it turns out. If you feel like you can add a bit more after a week or two then I would go for it based on how it looks right now.
Why do you think the volume is low? I see the O-lifts every work day...which is 5 days a week.

When I first saw it, I was actually thinking less work days because it might be too much...but some of the Oly days seemed lighter.

If anything, some of the Oly volume can be turned down to work on FS and OHS to compensate for the lack of training in these areas so far....but I feel like that is built into these "tech" days.

Maybe a linear progression on OHS and FS would be suitable for a couple of these days a week to start...since the snatch and C&J are so dependent on them.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Chris H Laing

week 2 day 1

1) press
80x3
90x3
105#x5

one more rep than last time, pretty happy

2) muscle up rows
5x3
feet on bench, hung with extended elbows in false grip for a second or two between each rep

3a) ring dips
8, 5, 3
3b) kipping weighed pullups, 15#
13, 7, 7
ring dips are still not where I want them at all, kipping weighted pullups were kinda fun

4) hill sprints x 10
pretty steep hill, maybe a 40* incline
Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Chris H Laing

week 2 day 2

1) clean and jerk
135#x4x1
full squat clean and split jerk, havent ever really done these but theyre pretty fun, 135# wasnt very hard but I didnt wanna push it too hard the first time trying these

2) deadlift
190x3
220x3
250#x4

gunna have to get used to deadlifting after heavy clean and jerks

3) walking lunge
50#x3x16 steps
50# db in rack position

4a) ghr
3x10
4b) hlr
3x5

No conditioning again. I think I'm gunna only do conditioning on press and bench days for the first month or two on this program so I dont burn myself out.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Chris H Laing

week 2 day 3

1) bench
115x3
135x3
150#x4

pissed, fucked up my form on the last set and touched my chest too high and it fucked up the whole fucking set, fuck

2a) supine rows
12, 10, 8
2b) single db press, 30#
12, 10, 8 each side
feet and hands at same height on rows, chest to bar, right arm before left on OA presses

3) windmills
30#x3x6
dont really like these that much...

3.5) bench...again
135#x5
just because I was pissed about earlier, made myself feel better because this was easy

4) jumprope intervals
30 sec on/30 sec off x 6

Wasnt a great workout today. I honestly didnt really like anything I did today that much. I fucked up the bench at the beginning, and everything else was a little to easy and didnt feel like it had a purpose. Meh, just one of those days...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Chris H Laing

week 2 day 4

1) single db snatch
50#x5x3

2) squat
150x3
170x3
195#x3

3) rack pulls
225#x3x8

4a) db swings