Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Cassi_Nesmith

Default Explain to me how this works...

I've had a significant weight gain because of a medication I must take. There is little chance that I will ever get to stop taking it .

I have been successful losing some of this weight since mid December with a 1500 calorie a day diet and by exercising. I'm generally using the BrandX scaled WODs. Today I topped it off the weightlifting off with a 800 meter run and stretching. I also chase a two year old.

My question is:
What more can I do to effectively burn the most calories or fat?

Why is it I have read so many times that the key to fat loss is jogging/cycling/whatever LSD for long periods of time?

How is it then, that tabatas are touted as being the most effective way to lose fat?

Also:
How can I add more protein? Today's ratio was 46% fat 29% carb 25 protein and I'm finding it to be difficult to eat enough protein. It's easy to eat enough fat though - nuts, avocados, olive oil, eggs.

Should I be scaling back on my fat consumption?

Any other information I should tell you?
I have a lean body mass of about 120.
Cassi_Nesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Hey Cassi,

How much protein you need is a good question. Really somewhere around 0.6-0.8g/lb of lean mass is adaquate enough for muscle repair/growth. Some like more but those are usually for bigger gains in weight. Now if your medication is keeping your metabolism slow then you do not want too high calories or protein as it will turn to fat. I'd keep the protein at those levels and then adjust the fat to continue weight loss and still be able to maintain performance. You could also try having a 3on/1 off schedule of 3 days of low calories and one day of higher (not too high) "refeeds" to help replenish the glycogen, but also to not let your body drop your metabolism because of the lower cal days.

Intervals are a way to burn rapid muscle glycogen and keep your metabolism elevated for hours. If you are eating a low carb diet then the body is forced to burn more fat for fuel. (good goal) The LSD really is not effective as over time your body adapts and you burn less calories, plus it does little for stimulating the metabolism the rest of the day all while also promoting muscle breakdown if done too excessively.

Here's a good article on intervals by Cosgrove,
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn8.htm
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Quote:
Why is it I have read so many times that the key to fat loss is jogging/cycling/whatever LSD for long periods of time?
OK. When you lift weights to build muscle, when do you build the muscle. When you are lifting the weights, or during a recovery period?

During the recovery period.

When you perform a lot of LSD style work, you are gradually switching over to using fat as a source during exercise, but there is no persistant elevation of metabolism or hormonal/enzymatic activity afterwards.

When you perform hard interval style work (which can be classic sprint/jog protocols, tabatas, many timed WODs, and stuff like that) you are not using much fat as fuel during exercise, but the elevations in metabolism and in levels of the enzymes use for fat burning and appropriate hormones are significantly higher for a much longer period of time.

This is what is called "Afterburn", EPOC, or "Turbulence".
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Like Steve said, fat burning is an all day process.....intervals maximize that through hormonal response and metabolic disruption.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

LSD can work but it is grossly misunderstood. LSD does not stand for long slow distance. It's long steady distance and it is an approach used in endurance athletics to build efficiency of movement, not to lose body fat. It may have a side effect of burning fat but the goal is to improve your baseline fitness for a given movement, cycling, skiing, swimming running to the point that one becomes so efficient at the movement that it is no longer difficult to maintain a given speed.

Long steady walks are a great example of LSD that can work when initially starting a program of fat reduction. Once you get "fit" for walking, you need to increase the load or the speed in order to create they same demand. At a certain point, you become efficient enough that you are chasing your tail trying to make something that is easy (walking or jogging) harder so that you can burn more calories.

Intervals do work for a lot of people who are trying to lose fat. They are also really fun. That said, in a hypocaloric state, recovery from intervals can be hard and for some people this type of work makes them more hungry. Not exactly helpful when you are trying not to eat.

Don't get caught in the hype of any one approach. Everything works. Nothing works forever. You might want to approach it like an athlete. Periodization is your friend. here's what I mean. If your just getting rollign on a program, Don't try to do everything at once. Either focus on losing fat or focus on strenght endurance but don't force yourself to be successful at both at the same time.

I can tell you what is working for me. I'm three months in on fat loss effort. I'm down about 25 pounds of fat. Have gained maybe two pounds of muscle. Here is my approach. For 3 to 4 weeks at a shot, I focus on low calories, lots of low rep strength based work in the gym (right now it's 5x5x5) with lot's of adequate recovery, and sleep. (Sleep! Did I mention you should sleep?) at the same time I try to boot up my total non exercise physical activity (NEPA), through walking and cycling.

After about 4 weeks when I'm about to plateau strength and fat loss wise, I change up. I start adding in calories over a week or two, until I'm up to maintenance calories. My workouts switch from long rests and strength based stuff, to short rests, intervals, EDT or WOD sessions. Do this for four weeks, then switch.

Yes it is taking longer to lose weight. But, my strength levels and overall health are steadily improving. I have not regained any weight during the periods of more kcal, so I'm not suppressing my metabolism from long periods of reduced calories. Biggest benefit, I am always looking forward to workouts and nothing gets stale. Fun is the key to long term success I think. If it's not fun on some level, why bother?

Last edited by Dave Van Skike : 01-05-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Don't get caught in the hype of any one approach. Everything works. Nothing works forever. You might want to approach it like an athlete. Periodization is your friend.
I agree with you Dave 100%. Everyone should vary their training. For example one week for me may be weights 3x a week, sprints 1x a week and a 2 hour mountain bike 1x a week....with the next week being completely different.

Intervals don't have to be till you puke, rather alternating intensities based on the person's current fitness levels. One person may walk quick one lap around a track and then walk slow 1/2 lap and repeat. Someone may be doing 100meter runs, another may be 1 min of rowing at their sustainable high pace and then recovering 2 min. What I like about intervals in general is built in it is a program of variation, so you can change the work/rest ratio, level of intensity, duration, and so forth so no 2 workouts may be the same.

Walking on a treadmill is going to be more effective in burning fat say after a weight training session when their glycogen is depleted and they can more effectively burn fat. However in general, LSD only burns fat during the duration of that exercise, and how much is fat will highly depend on glycogen levels, hormones and intensity. Intervals create a metabolic environment (and hormonal) that encourages more fat loss in the hours after the workout.

Fat loss is regulated by nutrition and hormones. Eat right to keep your fat burning hormones high (GH, Glucagon) and fat storing hormones low (insulin) and workout to increase those fat burning hormones (GH). Keep your metabolism running strong with healthy thyroid hormonal production and adrenal glands. Excess long prolonged stress can negatively affect your adrenals/thyroid and when those go down, the fat can pile on. Exercise is a stress, so intervals would be of benefit because they don't last long enough to maximize cortisol. If your LSD goes over 40min, then pretty much the cortisol is peaking from that point on.

Fat burning should be an all day process, not just "how many calories did I just burn" during a workout. That being said, consistency to your workouts, nutrition and healthy lifestyle is your biggest factor in weight loss.....you could have the best program in the world but if you don't do it, you won't get results.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Steve Shafley

Huskies can run.

And they run best when it's really cold out.

Picture this:

It's 5 AM. The streets are covered with snow, and it's extremely cold out.

I'm on my mountain bike, holding on to two huskies, one's 55 lbs, one's 75 lbs.

For the first mile, they pull me. It's quite a rush.

The one stops to poop. Like sprint sprint sprint poop. I was holding onto the leash too tightly.

I am basically thrown down a 30' ditch.

The huskies wait for me at the top, grinning.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
I am basically thrown down a 30' ditch.
The huskies wait for me at the top, grinning.
So they were fired from their "rescue" jobs, is that what you were saying? lol
Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Steve Shafley

No, one took to snapping at my infant daughter, and the wife freaked out. The new owner of the first dog took the other one, because he liked her too.

So, I'm missing my huskies, but have the awesome boxer Chewbacca instead, and Piper, the Trash Pomeranian puppy.