Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Jake Dent

Default IF + Hybrid training and modest mass gain

Hey everyone, wasn't sure which category this fits in since it's IF and workout related....so sorry if I put it in the wrong place!
I've been reading here looking at the hybrid system and I think I'm going to give it a shot, although I'm new at doing my own programing.
Up till now, I've been doing strict XFit, and have been very happy. I eat as clean as possible considering I'm in Iraq and I IF on training days (3/1).
I'm 5'9" 169 and I'd guess 10% BF. I'm looking to gain maybe 10 pounds in lean mass.
My plan is to fast for 16-18 hours and workout towards the end. I've been doing it for maybe 2 months now and lost an easy 5# in fat and set lots of PRs (been Xfitting for almost a year).
Now, with the Hybrid training I'll be doing a couple heavy lifts, then a short heavy metcon then maybe some rings or a few sprints.

I really really like working out fasted, but with the heavier focus, is this a good idea? So far I have not been injury prone, recovery is fine, no muscle loss just fat.
I calculate on fitday that I eat about 2500-2800 calories, 250g protein- 137g fat and 121 g carbs for a 39/45/17 split (yes, all in a 6 hour window). This is after upping my protein intake just a little to try to gain a little lean mass.
Is this too much? Am I on the right track to gaining a little mass without the fat gain as well?
Thanks for any advice, like I said I'm new to doing my own programming so anything will help.
Jake Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Working out while fasted is fine.

I'm impressived you're getting that much protein in and not gaining weight though, heh. You might need more kcals though 2.5-2.8k isn't THAT much for someone at your weight though.

What are your lift numbers?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Jake Dent

Boy, it feels like a lot

lifts- nothing too impressive,
DL- 350 (haven't done a DL in like 2 months probably)
Power clean-205
push press- 180
Squat- 315 X3 (haven't done a 1 rep max in a long time)
Weighted pull- 120
Fran- 4:08
5K- 20:30

Obviously I could stand to put on a little muscle and improve those lifts....I have more data, but no access to it right now so I have to go off the top of my head, or by something recent.
These number are from basically starting with nothing last december. I was a run 3 miles, pull-ups sit-ups kind of guy that had never been serious about lifting before.
Thanks again for your help, I could pretty easily add some more calories by snacking on almonds during my window or something similar....

ETA- I upped my protein just about a week ago, so it hasn't been that long....unfortunately, the only scale on this half of base broke at the same time....so....progress it tough to track right now....have to rely on lift numbers and the mirror I guess....
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

If you have access to BCAAs you could add them in pre-workout.

If not just eat up plenty of carbs/protein post workout....keep fat intake low during the pwo feeding window (1-2 hours)

You may need to start eating 3000-3500 to put on mass. Try upping the healthy fats for calories, as you should be getting enough protein in at 250g.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Jake Dent

I guess BCAAs are a supplement? They have some supplements at the little PX here, but I usually avoid anything but just whole food.
So you recommend low fat 1-2 hours post workout? (pwo?) So, for example, I fast from about 6-7 PM till 12-1PM the next day with my workout from usually 11-12 in the morning. I should have less fat at lunch and more at dinner?

I can up healthy fat....they have olive oil at the chow hall so I can use that more...

Mike, also thanks for your blog I've read quite a bit of it and really enjoy it.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dent View Post
I guess BCAAs are a supplement? They have some supplements at the little PX here, but I usually avoid anything but just whole food.
So you recommend low fat 1-2 hours post workout? (pwo?) So, for example, I fast from about 6-7 PM till 12-1PM the next day with my workout from usually 11-12 in the morning. I should have less fat at lunch and more at dinner?

I can up healthy fat....they have olive oil at the chow hall so I can use that more...

Mike, also thanks for your blog I've read quite a bit of it and really enjoy it.
BCAAs are Branched Chain Amino Acids....usually in supplement form. If you can't get a hold of it, no worries.

Yes...more whole food carbs (fruits too) + low fat protein pwo....then taper off the carbs and up the fats as the day goes on...so more meat+veggies+healthy fat later on. You can also adjust carb intake on the non-workout days to try and keep the fat off.

Also don't workout too much....that never leads to great mass gains. 2-3 solid heavy workouts a week is all it takes....that and eating.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Jake Dent

Good deal, thanks all that sounds doable.
I know 3/1 is a bit much for the heavier lifting....I'll listen to my body and break extra as needed.
Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate it...