Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
Trygve Lunde

Default Raw Food diet

Hello again
As always i have some question regarding food. This time its about the raw food diet style. Ive read alot about the diet on there sites and also their book. I find it really fasinating and maybe want to give it a try. But before i do i would like to hear some of your thaughts about this diet, why and why not start?

My goal is superior heath(would be nice to get rid of the asthma,allergy etc)
Superior energy so i can be the best i can be
And have around 6-8% bodyfat. Im around 10-12% now i think, and i dont want to loose the muscles i have now
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
George Mounce

I don't buy into the whole everything must be raw food diet, persay. Food naturally ripens and fermentation naturally occurs.

I tend to be more of the close to raw food. I eat my veggies steamed for the most part or raw, my fruit is raw, and my meats either smoked or medium-rare.

Now, going back, yes I've tried it. I lost both fat and muscle as I had to eat a ton of veggies and fruits. It is a lot of salad, and tends to put you towards vegetarian since unless you have sashimi brought around a lot, your protein is coming from plant sources or raw meat. I'm not a fan of raw meat, I don't mind raw fish though when prepared properly.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Trygve Lunde

how long where u on the raw food diet? did you experience any of the clear headed etc., beautifull skin and all other wonderfull stuff they say will happen
Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde View Post
how long where u on the raw food diet? did you experience any of the clear headed etc., beautifull skin and all other wonderfull stuff they say will happen
6 months. I've always been clear headed, so I'm not sure how that would work. My skin hasn't been bad in almost 16 years now - hormones and puberty did more to my complexion than anything I've ever eaten. I do also think the raw food diet lacks enough things to help healthy gut flora. I noticed a lot more gas. I think kefir and fish oil do more for my health than how raw my veggies are.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Chris Salvato

All those things that claim to be a part of the "raw diet" -- such as clear-headedness, increased focus, beautiful skin -- have also come about when many people switch to paleo.

I am with George on this one -- I think raw food is good but it doesn't necessarily have to be ALL raw ALL the time. I love undercooked meat -- but the thought of eating as much raw beef as I do cooked beef makes me kind of uneasy -- not that I think its unhealthy, I just don't think I would enjoy it as much.

The real issue here is an increase in the quality of food. Getting off breads and pastas will make you feel great whether you switch to all raw natural foods or paleo (which is all natural food, as well).

Notice the trend? Natural foods.

My 2.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Are you talking about a "raw" diet that includes meats or one that is vegan?

Most of the raw food info out there is on the vegan option...maybe that is good for short-term cleansing, not good at all long-term IMO.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Trygve Lunde

talking about the vegan stuff yeah, or raw meat i guess u can eat aswell but how does that?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
sarena kopciel

When I read "raw food" I also tend to think all raw vegan. And for me, been there , done that for way over a year. Did the green juices, sprouted beans and grains, etc. I did lose some weight and such but my chol was high as was my blood sugar.

Personally, it was not good for me and very difficulty to do long term (although some do!). Now I eat mostly paleo (90%) and as for veggies, in the winter I prefer them steamed and eat far less RAW than in the warmer weather.
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
John Alston

Stopping cooking is like trying to go backwards evoltionarily.
Why don't you just start walking on all fours, too?
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...-bigger-brains
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0810064914.htm
Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Chris Salvato

er...while i get your point, QM (quadrupedal movement - walking on all fours) is actually really beneficial :P
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote