Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Donald Lee

Default Good Morning Stretch

I'm wondering how far down most of you guys can go with a flat back on the good morning stretch? With a little bit of light contract-relax stretching I can get to parallel pretty easily, but getting beyond parallel is brutal. Even then, I can barely get below parallel.

My lower back keeps on rounding at the bottom of the ATG squat, which keeps on reaggravating my lower back injury. I've resorted to pistols and RDL for lower body work until I can squat without rounding my lower back.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Gittit Shwartz

I can't get far below parallel either, and I don't think many people can (except yogis).
I also feel it's more of a hamstring flexibility issue than lower back, but I may be completely off on this one.

What did you do for lb rehab? I injured my back a few months ago (not badly but enough to need a couple months off from bridging) and I found a protocol that really helped: 1-3 sets each of 50 reps GM and deadlift with a broomstick; increase reps up to 75 until that's easy, then start adding a bit of weight. Your lower back should be going up in flames. I did this every morning for 3 weeks. Forget where I found the link, I think it may have been on this forum or in Jay Cohen's blog.
Chiropractic helped also.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Don;

Here you go: http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/06...ill-starr.html

Gittit, glad it helped.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Donald Lee

I'm familiar with Bill Starr's rehab protocol. My problem isn't so much the rehab. I've been rehabbing and having many setbacks, so I've decided to slow play it.

My problem right now is that I can't keep from rounding my lower back at the bottom of the ATG squat. If I contract my hip flexors really hard and squat slowly, I can prevent the rounding, but I don't think I should have to squat that slowly to avoid rounding.

I'm thinking my problem may still be tight hamstrings. I do make sure that I can get to at least parallel in the GM stretch before I squat though. And, I SMR my piriformis.

Which is why I'm wondering just how flexible people who ATG squat are in their hamstrings.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

hamstrings are only side of the joint. hip flexors, adductors and ankle flexibility make a bigger difference for me WRT to depth.

I also don't believe in tight hamstrings as much as I believe in weak hamstrings. I tried for years to get my hamstrings to loosen up and quite pullign on my low back, was really bad when I was mMTB racing, woudl just seize up after 3-4 hours. tried all manner of stretching, RDL's fixed it in about a month.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Donald Lee

I did the good morning stretch today, and I was able to get lower than I've ever gotten before. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with having done RDL's yesterday and having done 1-Leg RDL's today with a weight for the first time.

I tried air squatting right after the stretch, and I didn't really have rounding of the lower back, but I still had the butt wink.

I stretch my calves and ankles, so I know they're not the problem. I don't see how tight hip flexors or adductors could cause a rounding of the back...maybe weak hip flexors. I do have a tight right hip flexor though, which makes my right glute pretty hard to activate. I don't even know how you'd stretch your adductors. Would hugging your leg stretch your adductors?

I've noticed that the tight muscles on my body are generally weaker. Maybe, I need to stretch and strengthen my hip flexors? L-sit works the hip flexors, right? I never thought of myself having weak hip flexors, but I guess that could be the case.

Also, earlier in my rehab, the RDL really did the trick in loosening up my hamstrings as well. I think it has something to do with the fact that your CNS won't let a muscle stretch to a length in which it doesn't have strength in; hence, why people who don't perform full ROM exercises tend to feel that working out reduced their flexibility.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
hamstrings are only side of the joint. hip flexors, adductors and ankle flexibility make a bigger difference for me WRT to depth.

I also don't believe in tight hamstrings as much as I believe in weak hamstrings. I tried for years to get my hamstrings to loosen up and quite pullign on my low back, was really bad when I was mMTB racing, woudl just seize up after 3-4 hours. tried all manner of stretching, RDL's fixed it in about a month.
I mixed up adductors with abductors. In my last post, I meant that I would try stretching my adductors. What you're saying makes sense now. I thought you meant abductors.