Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Default Mid-Hang different from RDL position?

Greg Everett prescribes a lot of exercises done from Mid-hang. I wanted to clarify were the Mid-hang position is. Generally I start a snatch, CJ, or variation of those lifts either from the floor or start from just above knees in what I would call an RDL hang position.

So my question is the "mid-hang" coach Everett refers to an even higher position than the RDL hang position I described above.

I looked under exercises for a video of an exercise that starts at Mid-hang but didn't see any.....

Thanks Guys!!
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Matt Edwards

I would assume it's about mid-thigh. Along with the hang variations, he also prescribes high hang. So I'm assuming mid-hang is the median of the two.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

Brian -

Mid-thigh. This is the point at which you should be reaching as much knee extension as you'll get prior to the scoop occurring (i.e. there will be only a slight knee bend at this point). If you're starting lifts from just above the knee or at the knee, you should not be in a position that resembles an RDL at the same point - you need to have more bend the knees and a more upright posture.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

I believe mid-hang is the starting position for the second half of this two-position clean video:
http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/.../2posClean.mov
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Brian Lawyer

Thanks Matt, Greg, and Garrett.

So do you start from high hang, then go to mid-hang, then Clean/Snatch, thus getting some stretch reflex....or do you start at mid-hang, then Clean/Snatch? I used to do the former but then my coach told me those were wrong and started having me do hang cleans/snatches by starting from above my knee caps. It is probably not a strict RDL position, as Gregg noted above, but basically just starting from the second pull, which I thought starts after the bar clears your knee.

I could be wrong about that. I think first pull is to clear bar of knees, then second pull is full extension from there.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Brian Lawyer

added signature. Just checkin to see if it works.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

Brian -

Anything below high-hang, set the start position a moment before starting the lift. For high-hang, just down & up (i.e. dip and go) in the Burgener terminology.

The scoop does begin right as the bar passes the knees for many lifters - but ideally it shouldn't start until the bar is a bit higher - around mid-thigh. Try to find some video of Stefan Botev for a good example of this.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Brian -

Anything below high-hang, set the start position a moment before starting the lift. For high-hang, just down & up (i.e. dip and go) in the Burgener terminology.

The scoop does begin right as the bar passes the knees for many lifters - but ideally it shouldn't start until the bar is a bit higher - around mid-thigh. Try to find some video of Stefan Botev for a good example of this.
Hey Coach,
I came back to revisit this thread based on some discussions I have been having with Derek Maffett over on my 1/14/09 digital coaching thread. Now that we have clarified the "mid-hang" position versus the "hang"position, which I had previously referred to as RDL position, would the "Jump/Shrug" cue occur at the mid-hang position?

I ask because my coach doesn't seem to care about bar positioning for the "jump/shrug" cue. He is more focused on vertical shins or he has even mentioned shins beyond vertical...

Thanks,

Last edited by Brian Lawyer; 01-19-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: better clarification of question