Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
markus willard

Default 1700 calories (too low?!) and 22 protein blocks

I follow the zone/paleo pretty religiously with the occasional binge on the weekend. I've been experimenting with IF (Intermittent Fasting), usually anywhere from 15-17 hours...eating in a 11-6pm window. I'm 5'11, and about 175-180 depending on the day, lol. So probably somewhere between 10-12% BF, just beginning to see the bottom of my abs, but not enough to say I'm ripped. Performance matters to me, especially as I'm going to try out for the southern cali qualifiers in April. I know 1700 calories is low, but I've been at a higher protein block (sometimes around 20-23) my carbs down below 12 blocks (80-110ish g) all fruits and vegetables, usually lower...yesterday I had a metcon that killed me so I had a sweet potato! AWESOME, and my fat blocks are anywhere from 3-5x (60-80g fat).

Thoughts on caloric intake and higher protein (g/lb of body weight)...I want performance results, but getting ripped is nice too. Below is what an average day of eating would look for me.

Break IF fast with: 1/2 cup blueberries, a couple strawberries, 2 whole omega 3 eggs, and 4 egg whites (sauted vegetables ((mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion)) with some sprouted seeds and salsa on top.

Probably have a few almonds and fruit (usually fugi apples) for a snack

Big Salad (Raw Spinach or baby romaine) with 6-8oz chicken or salmon, black olives, onions, and olive oil, some other veges (lots of broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, and spinach in my fridge!)

dinner would be a mix of grilled veges, some sort of protein source, carrots, hummus, and olive oil

Cook all my dishes in extra virgin coconut oil...eat tons of vegetables...
Supplements: cod liver oil, BCAA, glutamine, 1 g of creatine, enzymes and probiotics.

Thanks for the feedback!!
markus willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Grissim Connery

how is your performance now? are you asking if you should eat more cause your performance is already suffering, or are you just curious if your performance would be better if you did start eating more? if the latter, you're probably gonna have to test it.

the easiest way to up some of those calories would be to eat whole eggs and no whites.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
markus willard

grissim

my performance is good! feeling on top of it! what's your idea on protein intake? and my fat intake is definitely up there at 3-5x. When you eat paleo, you can eat a lot and not have to take in tons of calories...i feel good, just curious.
markus willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yup, as long as you're progressing you're fine.

If you're not progressing something is wrong. If that's the case it's probably underrecovery... through lack of calories. Could also be sleep or stress or whatever related as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

opinions vary on protein. i'm still formulating my own opinion on my intake. i'm finding it to be quite personal for different people.

i can generally maintain my weight at 3600 Cal/day (semi-estimate). i guess i'm pretty active compared to others. when i zoned, i feel that i kinda messed myself up by taking in way too low calories. i followed robb's suggestions for protein for a while. even with a huge fat intake (~250g), i still had bad carb cravings. i upped the protein quite a bit (i'm not measuring now, but i guess about 2.5-3 lbs meat a day based on hunger. this may be approaching protein gluttony sector, but i figure if i wanna know what it's like on my body to eat that much, i gotta try it). i was able to reduce fat intake quite a bit since hunger dissipated. after a few weeks though, i started to get carb cravings again. i'm just starting a carb cycling program, so i'm not sure how this will affect my protein intake. i'd like to lower it again, just cause i feel weird eating that much protein.

i'm wondering if i can come back down to robb's number on protein if i apply the carb cycling approach correctly. i noticed that my cravings for meat intensely dissipate the second i start eating carbs.

so many factors. so confusing. just gotta keep experimenting and playing. keep having fun with this. it's easier to know what to eat by seeing how altering each factor affects you.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote