Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Matthieu Hertilus

Default Career Path

This may sound like a dumb question but is there anyway to turn weightlifting into more than just a hobby. I realize there are weightlifting clubs and local meets available but I wonder what is the next step beyond that? I only ask because I love weightlifting so much and try to be around it as much as possible, but its hard to keeping it as just a hobby and I have to work two jobs I'm not all that crazy about to support myself. This could be for any sort of athletic endeavor (track, football, weightlifting, etc). How does one turn their passion, especially one in the athletic realm, into a career?
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

Coach. Start by getting a job as an assistant coach for a sport or as a S&C, get your hands dirty in the field. I started doing this a year and a half ago when I recently turned 17 but I had been preparing for it since I was 14. Seek out friends who are interested in improving their athleticism and it'll grow from there. Show them what is possible and what can be done, and people will come to you.

It usually starts with showing people your own abilties and then they want to try to emulate it. Help out at the gyms, get hired at the gyms, get to know your peers. Take it nice and easy. Do not make any bold statements or put down someone else's program when you're in their house. Find a point to agree on with it and then show them your way.

If you can play your cards right you can take it far quickly. For example, let's use me. I'm a freshman at Syracuse; by the end of last summer I secured a position as a personal trainer at the fitness center. This position is usually only filled by graduate students, and as far as I know I am the only undergrad (let alone freshman). On top of this I have an internship at the varsity gym (exclusive to D1 athletes) coaching athletes in Olympic lifting when I have the chance; once more this is a graduate only position as well; and it allows me to have complete use of the facilities. This semester I have been asked to participate in an on-campus TV show on health and fitness, so they have begun following me around with a few people.

So after 6 months I've secured a rather solid position at my school. If you know how to do it, you can take things pretty far, pretty quickly.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Matthew Bacorn

Brian, do you get any contempt from older athletes? I don't think alot of the "major" sport athletes at my school would take well to being coached by someone younger.

For some reason I see someone like a tennis player taking weightroom instruction better than a football or basketball player. I suppose i correlate those latter athletes with having bigger egos, which would logically stem from the greater attention that their sport gets.

Just curious
Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Brian DeGennaro

The funny thing is, everyone listens to me, even the S&C coaches. Because of me I've seen people incorporate snatch-balances, try power snatches, GHRs, GHD situps, and other various exercises into the routines.

It's the whole "lead by example" thing. My example happens to be the best one in the gym so they listen. I shouldn't say everyone listens to me but people get real humbled when I lift next to them, technique-wise and weight-wise. They become very open when I demonstrate the correct way to lift. Most of the female athletes come up to me and ask if they're doing things right. People are very open to input depending on how I approach them regarding that.

Sadly the football weight room is still off-limits to me simply because the athletic department has a large enough ego to consider football a completely different animal. I will find my way in there one day, and I will have access to all their competition weight sets...
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Like any field....expect to put in your time and prove yourself. It can happen....but don't expect it overnight. Ask any respected coach that has been doing it for 30+ years.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Matthew Bacorn

Very cool Brian, and you've got plenty of time to find your way into the football weight room. It'll happen