Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Matthieu Hertilus

Default Feeding Window

Hey Everyone, Im new to IF and I'm slightly confused on this aspect: should one stick to eating only in the feeding window or simply eat whenever you're hungry? Also, while total calorie consumption isn't necessarily a huge concern, should one worry about the amount of protein taken daily? I'm on the CA strength cycle and I've heard that I should look to take in a good amount of protein (roughly 1g/ bodyweight) but I wonder if thats necessary? Im 5'6, 170lbs and roughly 12% bodyfat which I'd like to get under 10. I stick to paleo foods (except peanut butter which I love, and bcaa/creatine supplementation).

So basically I'm asking:
- Is it better to eat in a specific feeding window or can I just eat whenever I'mhungry (provided their clean paleo food which they always are)?
-If it's better to stick to a feeding window, should I try to aim for a certain amount of meals, calories, or protein in this window?
-How long should these feeding windows last?
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus View Post
So basically I'm asking:
- Is it better to eat in a specific feeding window or can I just eat whenever I'mhungry (provided their clean paleo food which they always are)?
-If it's better to stick to a feeding window, should I try to aim for a certain amount of meals, calories, or protein in this window?
Try multiple things and find out what you perform best with (i.e. keep a food log and not only log what you eat, but how you felt before, during, and after each meal including did you feel like crap coming up to the next time you ate, and did you feel like crap after a fast, how was your fasting workouts compared to a workout after having eaten something, etc). That is going to be the answer for the most part that everyone is going to give you. Each person is different, so you have to find out what works best for you.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Start first with eating cleaner foods, then worry about adding in an IF day here and there....other days, eat however you want to. It's supposed to be "intermittent"...and ideally best "hormonal" responses come from 18-24hr fasts.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Phil Chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus View Post

So basically I'm asking:
For me personally, I have to eat in the specific window or else I'll never eat. When I'm on IF, I never really get hungry anymore... I only eat because I like food, and to gain/maintain weight/performance.

My windows are anywhere from 5-8hrs. I try to aim for the calories I'd normally eat over an entire day... but it almost always comes out to less because I have a hard time cramming it all in.

However, like the replies above, once you try it out and experiment for a couple months, you'll develop your own style of IF.
Phil Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Jodie Cohen

Default IF for women?

does anyone know the guidelines for women who want to try IF? I'm interested, but don't know a lot about it. Do I fast on workout days, rest days, does it matter? And, how long would is the recommended length? Any help would be appreciated.

thank you!
Jodie Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie Cohen View Post
does anyone know the guidelines for women who want to try IF? I'm interested, but don't know a lot about it. Do I fast on workout days, rest days, does it matter? And, how long would is the recommended length? Any help would be appreciated.

thank you!
I'm sure some women will add in....but here is what I have seen:
- women tend to do worse on smaller daily eating windows (may be just not getting enough calories in)
- women also may not do well on too much IF daily (like doing it everyday)

So to start....I say try it 2-3x a week on your rest days and go from there. Doesn't have to be complicated, just has to be effective. You could start with 6-8hr feeds and adjust as you go.

It's better to start smart and slow....and tweek it....than to go full force in, burn out, expect quick weight loss and just rebound the weight later with a f'd up thyroid.

You can also go here for more overview and tips:
Intermittent Fasting 101
Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Amanda Mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie Cohen View Post

thank you!
From all I've read everyone is different, women and men. You just have to play around and find what works for you. I started with 16/8 5-6 days a week. It was ok, but I didn't see results. I switched to Eat Stop Eat in November with two 24 hour fasts per week. Love it! I typically do Monday and Thursday regardless of my workout schedule. I have plenty of energy, strength is increasing and body fat is coming off steadily. But like I said, women are all different and you may require shorter, less frequent fasts. Just keep toying with it!

Good luck
Amanda Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Jodie Cohen

Default thank you!

Thank you...those posts were REALLY helpful. Tomorrow is a rest day (I do 3 on 1 off) so I think I will try a fast for 18 hours and see what happens. So, let me get this straight, once the fast is over, I just pick up where I left off for the rest of my meals on that day, or do I try to squeeze all the meals into that short window?

Again, thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Amanda Mitchell

Again, this is one of those individual things. I've seen people do both. I personally act like the fast never happened and just eat as I normally would that time of day. So, if I do a 7p-7p fast I'll just skip breakfast and lunch and eat dinner as I normally would. But, the beauty of it is that I get to eat a real dinner. Before, when I was focused on eating every three hours, I would eat these teeny meals and always feel hungry. But with IF I have the freedom to eat until I'm satisfied and still see results. I have lost ~7 pounds and ~2% bf. I had very little to lose to begin with, but it really helped with those last few pounds!
Amanda Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Jodie Cohen

Default little BF to lose

Thanks amanda,

That was very helpful. I, too, only have about 8 - 10 pds to lose so I was wondering how best to go about this. I think this might be the way for me. I skipped my lunch and mid morning snack, so I will have my lunch and last two meals. Or maybe, I'll skip the 2 small and make it one big dinner....that sounds GREAT!!!!

how long did it take you to lose that weight? I know everyone is different, but I tend to get impatient and it's nice for me to know that others have a slow time of it, too.

Thanks so much!