Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
Torsten Hauptmann

Default olympic clean and PRESS prior 1972

I would like to know if anyone if you knows how to perform the olympic press as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erVblY7aiU (w/f/s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M (w/f/s)

I think the olympic press does far more emphasis core -stability, -strength, -ROM, -power and -speed compared to the rather static stability needed in the squat, DL or normal press esp. when looking over to gymnasitcs for core stability/ROM standards.

So i am really interessted in a guide for the press but when your intention is to argue about the value of the olympic press or just tell me that the olympic press is in nature a "standing bench press" or something else which does not enlighten the execution of that lift it would be very plesant if you read the thread i started a while ago in the CF main forum. i had the intent to discuss the proper execution of the olympic press but it started out to be about the (non)value of the olympic press thus a lot of things have been said in this regards and i strongly encurage you to read the old thread on the CF forum first to aviod accidental double posting.

Thread on the CF forum:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44552 (w/f/s)
Torsten Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/01...ill-starr.html
http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/01...ill-starr.html

Bill Starr will go over the form in those two articles.

I know you don't want to hear an argument against the press but here is one related to WL'ing training.

The reason why, besides politically, that weightlifters don't include the press anymore in training is that it becomes counterproductive to the lifts. Once the press was dropped, snatch and clean & jerk records skyrocketed. After certain strength increases you reach the point of diminishing returns, just like in squats.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Torsten Hauptmann

nice post brian, thanks!!

could you please tell me why it becomes counterproductive to the lifts? i think it is the right place here because it does deal with the lift in interference with the other lifts. is it because its execution does confuse the other lifts mentally?
Torsten Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

what sucks is that they ever got rid of the press in the first place...it's an entertaining lift to watch doesn well and seemingly open to more potetial styles..also to the layperson, a super impressive.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Brian DeGennaro

Like I said, you reach the point of diminishing returns quickly as you work strength with Oly lifting. Weightlifters want to train for explosiveness, which the press lacks completely. The jerk takes a fraction of a second to complete while a press takes several seconds to complete, especially at heavier weights. This longer time under tension is going to train a different motor pattern than the quick, explosive jerk. This simultaneous of a slower motor pattern with a faster one is going to screw up the jerk more than the press. The body won't know how to move as quickly in the jerk as a result of training heavy presses.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

I only see a modest bump in progress in the clean and jerk for super heavies in the 1980's (drugs are bad, mmmkay?) Across the weight classes it looks like pretty linear progress since the early 1960's, so I don't get that the removal of the press as being this huge boon to the Jerk.

it would make some sense in the lower weigth classes becuase the press requires a pretty big upper body and all things beign equal, without the press in play, one could devote more of the body's overall weight distribution to the hip and leg.

if you can't tell, i think the press should come back. I think the jerk is boring, the snatch is graceful and sublime, the clean and press is just awesome. I'd even consider training Oly if it was set up like that..

.oh well. is what it is...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
glennpendlay

There wasnt really any explosion of results in the other lifts after the dropping of the press, and what there was was not really for that reason. Lots of advances were happening around the same time.

The press was dropped because of judging problems. Hard to judge when you have allowed the rules to be broken for years. hard to draw a line.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote