Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
Daniel Christensen

Default "Vertical Development"

First Post

Training Goals for Year
1) Get lean, stay lean: get under 10% BF as measured by the Tanita scales at my gym (currently at 12.9%ish) plus lose a few cms of tummy… stay that way.
2) Build some “horsepower” in my legs: get 1RM DL and back squat above 150% BW (BW=90kgs)… I’ve actually already DL’d 140kgs this year, the remaining goal is to be able to back squat that amount.
3) Continue to round out positional abilities in BJJ.
4) Improve take-downs.
5) Sharpen up striking game, particularly at close-middle range.

Current Program (give or take a bit)
Mon: Rest
Tues: Noon – Gym, PM – BJJ (1.5 hrs)
Weds: Noon- Ashatanga Yoga (1hr)
Thurs: PM – BJJ (1 hr), Kickboxing (1hr)
Fri: Noon - Gym
Sat: AM – BJJ (1.5hrs)
Sun: Noon - Gym

Diet: Protein Power-esque with a few too-frequent cheat meals. IF Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Gym Program: My Mon, Sun gym workouts are based on the bodyweight program from Kelly Baggett’s Vertical Development Bible, Fri was based on the beginners plyometrics workout plus a little bit of other stuff, but as of today I’m going to drop back on the plyos and do more “other stuff” (maintenance work) as my feet and knees are getting too sore. My gym workouts taking 70-90 minutes (I’d prefer less, but that’s the best I can do).

Story… inspired by my first serious batch of basketball in 12 or so years and the good rap he got here I bought Kelly’s e-book, was impressed, decided to stick with program. I’m trying to stick to programs more, and decided to start at the beginning (i.e. bodyweight program), even though I have access to a gym.

>>>

Impressions of bodyweight program… I bought the e-book just before Christmas. The volume is killing me… week 1 of the BW program finishes with 2 x 100 reps BW squat (after 2 x 15 bulgraian squats, with extra slow negatives, plus some walls squats). It took me about 3 weeks to get through week 1, then I got bored, moved on to the next phase of the BW program.

Apart from the volume, I’m liking it – I like the variety of the exercises, I like the current emphasis on control, and I like finishing with a high rep set (of limited utility as it is for building maximal strength)… when I’m doing my 100 squats I can feel a little superior to the guy doing leg extensions. I’ll be glad when the program shifts to weights, but I also feel good for just sticking to a program.

In terms of both my bodyfat and “horsepower” goals, I’m not sure I’m making the best of progress, but I feel that the BW leg program is laying in some foundation for the year to follow.[/size][/font]
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Daniel Christensen

Been some time...

I am in the final stretch of the BW component of the program. Unfortunately I have suffered a minor calf strain - the timing uscks, as my lunchtime soccer season is just beginning.

I had noticed my calves tightening up over a while but didn't do anything about it. I suspect that the 1-leg wall squats have something to do with it - it's an intense isometric exercise, and a clear indicator of progress, as I couldn't even complete by 5 x 5 second holds the first time I tried, can now do 2 x 5 x 10 seconds.

I have simplified my goals, - I will concentrate on reaching my basic strength benchmarks, and then worry about my bodyfat (which is reasonably stable anyhow).

Given that I'm doing BW and concentrating on quality rather than just putting up weights progress is a little harder to gauge, but I feel things are going well. I had a lot less PWO soreness after my first soccer match than I usually do, which I will take as a positive. It will be good to get back to weights though and measure where I am at.

I'm also working with the paleo-diet for athletes as the basis for eating (with a few too many cheats thrown in). I'm finding it liberating not worrying about portion sizes, allowing myself plenty of fruit and good PWO nutrition. I'm finding it easier to train and recover (work allowing), and my appetite seems more stable (less of my cheat meals are massive blow outs and less craving for cheaty meals).

I'll look to get some accupuncture or trigger point for the sore calf, and once it feels a little better I'll try up the stretching...
Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Daniel Christensen

This is less training than nutrition and health, but I want to log it anyway...

More time elapsed...

Took a holiday to Hong Kong and Shanghai and all I got was a pair of Nikes and a lousy flu. Been out of commission 2 weeks.

Prior to that was away 2 weeks - improvised a few good workouts on the gear at Kowloon park. Not sure the locals were impressed with the spazzy looking gwilo, but I had fun. I didn't worry at all about diet when I was away.

Prior to that was working like a bastard, training and diet went out the window for a week or 2.

So (if you round some of the "or 2s" down), it's been 5-6 weeks since I was last training consistently and eating well.

Now I'm on my way back. Been walking a bit every day and rolling on the floor a little, and I've started meditating about 20 minutes every day, which seems to be mellowing me out a bit (early days). I'm going to get back to paleo tomorrow (plus some OJ until I stop feeling sorry for myself) reckon I'll be good for a lazy gym workout about Thursday and I'll see how I go.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
Daniel Christensen

Finally made it back to BJJ and the gym. Even though I'm slow, deconditioned and sometimes lost, going back to BJJ felt like coming home.
I'm basically trying to scale workouts to 60-80% (based on feel) until I start to feel better.

Went to the Chinese Doctor today to address nagging post-viral tummy symptoms. She diagnosed a weakness in my lung and spleen yin energy, gave me needles, cups & the magic lamp, and gave me some pills.