Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Torsten Hauptmann

Default Strongman (special) core training?

how do strongman train core strength esp. the anterior wall? As such things as stonework need a strong back but also a very very strong anterior wall. is there any special training besids doing the exercises which come up in competition?
Torsten Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
George Mounce

Squat, deadlift, pick up heavy object put over head and hold it there. Strongman from every competition I have seen is all about the core stabilizing.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten Hauptmann View Post
how do strongman train core strength esp. the anterior wall? As such things as stonework need a strong back but also a very very strong anterior wall. is there any special training besids doing the exercises which come up in competition?

i've never heard of anything special but don't have weak areas, i'm just weak. mostly the guys i train with just focus on the events, which when heavy are training enough for the torso.
  • farmers walk, sort of taxing but body weight plus in each hand is an extra special level of fun.
  • front squats, low rep and high rep on occasion.
  • also a lot of bottom position work in box squats, pin squats, zerchers etc without a belt helps,
  • a bunch of top end work (rack work, high box) with a belt or PL suits seems to help even more. heavy overhead supports stuff like that.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Torsten Hauptmann

do i understand it right that strongman do not focus that much on strong abs as in gymnastics and do therefore no/less isolation work like weighted sit ups etc? i ask because i personal did not experience an significant increase of my abstrength from dl, sq. overhead work did provide better results but isolation work like weigthed situps etc. worked best and translated back to overhead work quite well. therefore i was asking...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

well, i don't know anything about gymnastics but I've not found isolation work do much for my barbell lifts or odd objects with the possible exception of the ab wheel.

I think it's the classic progression. when you're weak, everything makes you stronger, the further you progress, the more specialized everything becomes. In SM, really there are so many events to train that hit your core, hips and shoulders that the last thing you want or need is ab work per se. I think I have wasted too much energy on working specific parts of a movement or body in hopes it will get stronger when what I really need to do is work on technique, when your technique is flawless, you really only need a very few supplemental things in addition to the movement to get stronger.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Torsten Hauptmann

Quote:
In SM, really there are so many events to train that hit your core, hips and shoulders that the last thing you want or need is ab work per se
i see like in weightlifting with the lower back which is hit in every lift.

could you do me a favor and tell me how a "normal" strongman routine or workout looks like as only the stonework and overheadwork with a thick bar or log comes in my mind which taxes the abs. are there other events doing the same?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torsten Hauptmann View Post
i see like in weightlifting with the lower back which is hit in every lift.

could you do me a favor and tell me how a "normal" strongman routine or workout looks like as only the stonework and overheadwork with a thick bar or log comes in my mind which taxes the abs. are there other events doing the same?
Mine routine seems normal to me:

Monday. Heavy Press
  • long warm up with front squats, maybe f squat with chains.
  • work up to a strict heavy single double or triple in log or axle
  • then 10 minutes of density work with the top weight for a push press. ten triples on the minute.
  • then light farmers or sandbag carry. maybe weighted chins or DB rows if feeling beat up.

Wed. heavy squat
  • work up to a target number in the back squat followed by
  • a higher rep pull, (RDL's Axle DL, pulls from a box, Farmer DL.)
  • if feeling good, zerchers from the floor or if not so fresh, glute ham raise with band tension.

optional thursday: light presses.
  • deloaded bench press for several sets up to a top weight, then
  • high reps, 3 sets of 15.
  • rows light or chest supported
  • tricep stuff. stretch...

Saturday: heavy pull or events
usually 3 events or do a DL variant and then medley. this week was
  • axle cleans,
  • heavy farmers
  • tire flip.
  • last week was work up to heavy double in DL then medley with
  • heavy farmers
  • keg load carry and load onto sled
  • sled push

In my mind, until one is quite advanced, every day is very taxing on the abs, core or whatever you want to call it. I do throw ab rollers in back to back sets with reverse hyper this is more of an active recovery thing.

a more advanced guy might use a more sophisticated split. this is an article by a LW competitor in the states who is very good. He's got one per week where abs are paired with active recovery.http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effe...an_routine.php