Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
Ivan Perez

Default Squat cicle for Olympic Weightlifting??

Hi guys

I talked yerterday with my coach about summer workout and I will repeat a technical cycle at last two weeks of July and August... many set and reps with little weight for diferent technical exercices (I will use GŁe again ), also I 'm not pleased with my squat, form is correct but I don't lift enough.

So my question, What strenght cycle can I do to improve my squat, 5x5, Smolov Jr?? or Is better forget this idea??

Regards

Ivan
P.S: I will use Front Squat
Ivan Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Justin Fricke

Personally, I like Russian Peak Cycles---i did a 10 week version and a six week version. For me the ten week was better and allowed me to recover more fully before the next "heavy" day. my squat went from 350 to 405 in 10 weeks vs 335-350 in six weeks. and you could do it with fron squats just as easy also Mikes Gym has som egood squat programs listed on his page as well.

just my 2cents for what it is worth.

right now i am doing 5/3/1 and i am loving it.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Joe Hart

I am partial to the Hatch squat program. It will wear you out though and don't plan on doing very much on the squat day. To quote Greg "It will take the starch out of your britches", but you will make some good progress.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Dave Paton

[

Next week will be week 11 doing the Hatch cycle. it's really not that bad and is pretty do-able. Monday is the squat max day for me. I am also looking for another squat cycle (my glaring weakness).

Does anyone have a link to the Russian Peak cycle?
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Gavin Harrison

Dave,

You could always look up the smolov squat cycle if you're up for a challenge and close to 100 lbs on your squat in a couple months...
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Rick Deckart
Banned

I have no idea what your max in the front squat is, but if it is close to or well over 130 kg the following schedule, a modified smolov basecycle, works really well:

Code:
Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday Week 1: 70.0%x9x3 75.0%x7x4 80.0%x5x5 85.0%x3x6 Week 2: 75.0%x9x3 80.0%x7x4 85.0%x5x5 90.0%x3x6 Week 3: 77.5%x9x3 82.5%x7x4 87.5%x5x5 92.5%x3x6 Week 4: rest rest rest test max 80.0%x5x5 = 80.0% x 5 reps x 5 sets
Note that if your max were 200 kg you would use the original smolov basecycle poundages (10kg is 0.05*200 kg, 5 kg is 0.025*200 kg).

Basically it is ~25% reduction of the volume and an adjustment of the progressions in week 2 and 3 which is more suited for weaker squatters.

I have done a full smolov cycle and compared to the original base cycle i made similar gains doing it like outlined above, but it was way way more comfortable.

P.S.: if somebody gets 100 pounds out of a full-smolov cycle I more or less guarantee that he started it with a max over 180 kg...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote