Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Robbie Bremner

Default First Weightlifting Competition

I have been lifting for some time now and as a S&C coach I wanted to enter a comp to further my skills and give myself a focus. I am lifting tomorrow in the Ulster Open which I am very excited about.
I am currently in the middle of a 12 cycle and have not broke the format but just want to use the comp for watching other lifters, bounce ideas of others, meet some experienced coaches and give it a good go myself.
Just wanting to know if anyone has good tips on prep for the day, nutrition, weigh in, etc.

Cheers
Robbie Bremner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Matt Edwards

Best tip I can give is go in confident and mentally tough. I had my 1st competition few weeks ago and let my nerves get the best of me, and thus, wasn't able to lift to my potential.

Other than that... have fun. The atmosphere should be nothing but positive. One of the only sports where you're not actively routing against your opponents.
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

My approach to the 3 attempts that has worked well for me so far:
1st lift - ~90-92% of my current 1RM (this is to have a successful first lift and work out the nerves)
2nd lift - Very small increase over my current PR
3rd lift - Further increase (if 2nd attempt was made or if you feel like you can anyway), or repeat the 2nd lift if it was missed

If you haven't been training the two lifts together in the same workout, I'd start doing that at least once a week. It's amazing how fatigued you can get in a meet when your training only has you doing one lift a session.

Know that nearly everyone there wants you to lift well. Try not to be self-conscious, just go up there and do your thing.

A little extra coffee/caffeine an hour before the meet starts can be very helpful.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Have fun. That is the best advice I can offer. Enjoy it, you are doing something so few people ever will do, step on a platform and lift in front of a crowd.

If this is in the middle of a training cycle and it is for the experience you probably aren't going in with goals so it should take the pressure off big time.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Have fun that's all that matters in the end. Good luck!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Robbie Bremner

Default Cheers Guys

I am very excited and know i will learn a lot.
I have been doing variations of snatch and CJ in my sessions after each other so have a good idea of the fatigue I will feel. I use coffee on a regular basis before training and will use it tom.
I know every format is different but what time would I have between lifts? Depends on numbers?
Nutrition between lifts and during warm-up?
Any tips for warm-up. Plan to start with some heavy singles for FS then build up the weight for CJ. OHS then build up Snatch. What about pulls?
How much time should I leave between last training rep and first lift?
Want to learn as much as I can.
Thanks
Robbie Bremner is offline   Reply With Quote