Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
george nesrallah

Default No thyroid and its effects?

I had a complete thyroidectomy a few years ago. To be honest I never thought much about it in terms of losing fat and its effects, however now I find myself really thinking about it.

I take Synthroid as a medication due to not having a thyroid. However I was wondering if there are any limitations I face due to this (i.e. not being able to raise my metabolism) or is everything okay as long as my meds keep me in the normal range?

Thanks alot.
george nesrallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Ryan Secor

Hey - was browsing through and saw no one commented back on this. I don't know really anything about thyroid conditions, but I do remember reading somewhere that Jim Wendler from EliteFTS doesn't have a thyroid and it doesn't seem to have any major effects on him (that I know of).

I did a quick search Robb Wolf's site (WFS) and couldn't find anything on thyroid stuff there. It would be an interesting topic that he might be willing to cover in one of his podcasts if you shot him an email - I'm sure a lot of people have similar questions. I know Jim Wendler has a Q&A section on EliteFTS (WFS) too so it may be worth asking him about it as well.

Intuition would make me tend to think that good eating (i.e. paleo) and fish oil combined with regular exercise would do the trick... but again I really don't know and don't claim to be an expert in this area.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

In my opinion, you should find a physician who will prescribe you thyroid medication that has both T3 and T4 in it. Most NDs will do this, or MDs who know enough to pursue this route.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Ryan Secor

I haven't listened to it yet, but as fate would have it Robb covers this topic in his most recent podcast... just to add to what Dr G said.