Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Default Pulls with the most transference?

If one had to choose between snatch pulls and clean pulls, which one is the most useful (has the most carryover/transference)?

I'm mainly referring to carryover/transference in OL itself.

My guess would be clean pulls, as they simply use more weight.

Thoughts?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Omar Omar

I will give you only my opinion on this.

For Oly-lifting both of them are quiet diffrent. Its like me asking "should I deadlift, or backsquat in order to get better at both", niether does the deadlift do much to my squat or vise-versa...

Similarly, the snatch neads more speed, clean has more wieght therefors its more of strentgh.

The snatch is more about shoulder flexibility and stability, it uses the hips more. Aghh, the clean is more about some other stuff....

I dont really think one of them will get you better at both, not even a little bit. The lifts are just so diffrent.

According to coach Burgener the snatch requires more power out-put, the most expolsive power, and is a better representation of an athletes ability.

I personally also think that (if anything) the snatch will get you better at the clean, if I ever had to choose only one, Ill go for snatches =))))

(All this is m personal opinion, Im not certified or anything like that so its up to you)
Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Robbie Bremner

Default Both

If we are talking in transference to oly lifts then both are important. I don't waste my time doing deadlifts, I just do pulls. In terms, of replicating the bar path of a snatch or clean, it is challenging.

Snatch Pull - due to this being generally a lighter weight than clean pull, this has a tendency to be used more from experience. I personally struggle with retraction and posture with this lift as its normally at 100%+.
Clean Pull - Due to it being a considerable weight (100%+ of clean), this weight tests my first pull and postural control. Anything over 3 reps normally turns into a clean deadlift.

If we are talking transfer into athletic performance, It really depends on the athlete and their ability. Normally less experienced athletes would use the blocks, as the 1st Pull/start position adds problems later in the lift and they get the appropiate adaptations from the 2nd Pull/Drive phase.

In my current program, I am using more snatch pulls than clean pulls as I have more issues with my snatch than CJ. I guess what I'm trying to say that it all comes down to speification. The snatch is always taught first by most coaches, so that may be a hint to which has more transference to oly lifting in general.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Brian DeGennaro

What are you trying to improve, Garret?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

I'd like to improve my OLs, but there isn't enough room in my program to be totally OL-specific.

I'd say I'm furthest away from my C&J goal, but I am most limited on that by my jerks at this time.

Anyway, I love pulls, but to avoid burning out, I wanted to know which one might give max benefit if I could only do one.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Martin Bonn

Hey Garrett,

if there was only one then it would have to be snatch pulls: requires more torso stabilisation due to the back angle, and you can still work the power, which shoud carry over to the clean nicely.
having said that, the bar position at the end of the 1st pull is a little different, so drilling that just with the snatch pulls might not give you as much of an effect as the clean pulls.

if you only have room for one, do snatch pulls.
OR: do 2-3 lighter sets of snatch pulls and then 2-3 heavier sets of clean pulls, not ideal, but maybe a reasonlable alternative?
TOTAL: 227kg

Youtube
Martin Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote