Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Default Mass (A) Gain Questions Before I Start...

Going to start the revised Mass Gain program soon and just wanted to clear some things up...

How long should rest periods be between sets?

Does the "3 x 75% of Tues" for pullups mean 75% of Tues' set 1, 75% of Tues' set 2 etc, or do you break up the total x .75 into 3 sets?

I know some excercises to throw in for core work, but can someone give me of an example of going "heavy" and "light" with this according to the day's lifting? What specifically to do, reps/weight/sets, etc.

If I wanted to throw in some grip work, when would be best and what are some suggestions for the most effective/transferrable exersises?

Thanks all.
Ben Kimmerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Rikke Olsen

Just gonna bump this question, as I've been wondering the same thing.
Rikke Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Kevin McGuinness

I interpret it to mean one of two things:
1. That you do 3 sets @ 75% of the maximum reps you did on Tuesday. For example, if your Tuesday sets went 12 reps, 16 reps, 12 reps, then Wednesday you would do 3 sets @ 75% of 16 reps, which would be 3 sets of 12.
or...
2. You do 75% of the reps from Tuesday's corresponding set on Wednesday. So working with the same example, if your Tuesday sets went, 12 reps, 16 reps, 12 reps, the Wednesday your sets would go 9 reps, 12 reps, 9 reps
Unless Greg says otherwise, give both a try. Option 1 would result in doing more reps, so if you can manage the extra work without it affecting how you feel going into Friday's workout (no pull ups again until Saturday), then do it. If you can't swing that, then go Option 2. Remember the whole point of a mass gain workout is to stimulate muscle growth, not destroy completely muscle fibers, induce DOMS, and make you hate your arms for the next week.
Kevin McGuinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Kevin's option 2 for pull-ups - approximately. Doesn't need to be precise.

RE ab work, heavy would be anything particularly strenuous - this might be heavy weighted sit-ups or similar, or, if they're very difficult for you, even something like hanging leg raises. Light work would be things like planks, crunches, twists - light or no weight, not strenuous.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote