Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
james forshaw

Default James' tale: 2009 til....

I think I've started about 6 logs in various places, not to mention several that I've written on paper. There is a lot to be said for just keeping one log no matter how many changes of heart you may have - definitely makes tracking back to find old PRs easier. This place allows for editing of old posts unlike the CF messageboard, so here it is, my one and only definitive workout diary.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
james forshaw

For the past month I pretty much just did my own strength-CF hybrid using metcons of my own making (most involving heavy cleans). Nutrition was good for about 60% of it, and I managed to set records in the front squat (130kg) and the clean and jerk (100kg).

A university requirement recently was to write a 3-5000 word essay on any subject and I chose the paleo diet, with a brief mention of IF. Since I haven't implemented IF for a long while, and taking inspiration from the research papers, I have decided to embark on a 6-week long period of strict paleo, sporadic fasting and (I hope) fat loss.

No shaky meat choices i.e. no sausage. I'm limiting fruit to 2 blocks a day. Aside from that, if it isn't unprocessed animal protein, eggs, vegetables, nuts or seeds, then it can't be eaten. Food intake will be limited only by hunger i.e. eating til satiety. By doing this, I hope to lose fat whilst maintaining performance at the very least, or improving on it.

Programme:

M - Optional (can rest, sprint or metcon)
T - Rest
W - Football + Metcon
T - Strength A/B + Metcon
F - Rest
S - Sprinting
S - Strength B/A

Strength A – Deadlift + Dips/Push Press
Strength B – Front/Back Squat

Thursday’s metcon should reflect strength session – if squatting, metcon could involve cleans. If deadlifts, then thrusters say.
If fresh on Monday, can switch Wednesday’s metcon to then.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Daniel Mays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUrY0VtGYs

Good Luck
Daniel Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
james forshaw

A weird one today. Weird in that I chose Grace because I thought I was a shoe-in to smash my record because on Saturday I did max reps CJ @ 75kg in 3 mins and scored 18.

"Grace"

Time: 4 mins 10 (21s slower than PB)

I can only assume that my traps, forearms and quads are still shot from two days ago. Or that I've only eaten one meal with about 5g of carbs today. I got 9 in a row at 75kg but only 10 at Grace weight. Not complaining though, I'm totally smashed up - which is the whole idea.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
james forshaw

Rest Day

*18 hour fast - SE (stopped eating): 12.30pm
Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
james forshaw

*18.5 hour fast
Last meal @ 9.30pm

Hard going with this 2 blocks of fruit rule. Still getting used to it, and should seriously start upping the fat.

Metcon
10-8-6-4-2 reps of couplet:
70kg Cleans
L-Pullups

Time: 7 mins 48

Slow time, probably due to them both being pulling exercises. Did 135lb thrusters a couple of weeks ago with L-pullups (same number of reps just slightly differently) and got well under 5 minutes so it clearly makes a difference.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Matthew Green

Morning mate,

You ever thought of keeping the same log for a while?! What score am I shooting for on quater gone bad tonight (aka, what did you get last time).

Also, did you make your paralettes yourself? I went to taskers and B&Q earlier on in the year to find pipe and T-joins but what they had wasn't suitable.
Matthew Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
james forshaw

ME

Bench Press 5x5 (set 5RM)
5 x 80kg
5 x 85kg
5 x 90kg
5 x 92.5kg
5 x 95kg

Back Squat (HB Olympic) 10x3 DE w 30s rest
100kg

Metcon
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Deadlift 90kg
Pull-ups

Time: 7 mins 51

Bench was good, despite my contempt for it and hardly ever doing it. Was going dizzy on the squat, 30 reps is a lot! The metcon destroyed me. Rx'd on CFFB was 150% BW but my back was killing even with 90kg. I don't think high-rep deads are safe, the only time I'll implement them in future is ME or very heavy, low-rep metcons.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
james forshaw

Yesterday

Extremely sore, so had extra rest. Gutting, I love sprints too.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
james forshaw

Still sore but...

Metcon

"Quarter Gone Bad"

Scores:
Thrusters: 8,8,8,7,7
50lb Pullups: 11,11,9,7,7
Burpees: 8,8,8,8,6

Total: 121

Very impressed with myself firstly for finishing as I was having one of those warm-ups where my body didn't seem to be preparing itself properly and I was still very sore from 2 days ago. And secondly for the score as the last time I did it I couldn't imagine where I was going to get the reps from to beat 118. Extra kudos for the cold shower afterwards