Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Steve Romer

Default Some of my words have been banned

without warning at the CrossFit forum for talking about the Robb Wolf firing. I obeyed all the rules but talking about the Robb Wolf firing cause my thread asking; "Which is better the Modern Diet with Zoning or the Paleo Diet without Zoning?" was banned. I was not given a reason for the banning it is just banned.

They can't even handle a diet discussion. Well they just lost me. I will never pay for a CrossFit Cert because they can't simple discussion of diets. Also, I will never join a Gym because they are a CrossFit Affiliate. I no longer see that Affiliation as a badge of honor. I no longer care about the CrossFit games; because I no longer believe those games are for the good of community, but rather they are just a highly profitable marketing tool for CFHQ.

Also, I am businessman and the Robb Wolf firing caused me to look at the Affiliate model of CrossFit and I do not see upside of being a CrossFit Affiliate. It is way too easy to become an Affiliate with no quality control. There are many more poorly run affiliates than well run ones. If this isn’t corrected soon all of the affiliates will harmed by disgusted clients of the poorly run affiliates.

With the explosion of affiliates, the affiliate’s ability to earn a reasonable wage will become harder and harder. Only people who benefit from the affiliate model as practiced by CFHQ is CFHQ. It seems to me the affiliate’s sole purpose is to funnel money into CFHQ.

All these facts sadden me, because CrossFit had the promise to be something special in this world. Greed has ruined that promise and that is sad for all of us gave a damn just a few short days ago. I believe CFHQ will remain highly profitable because too many of Kool-Ade drinkers do not question CFHQ’s actions. Too many the people applying for Affiliation believe Affiliation is quick and easy path to becoming well paid fitness coach and CFHQ is feeding those expectations.

I thought if enough of us, the customers of CrossFit, spoke loud enough and long enough we could get CFHQ listen to us. I was wrong. The Business of CrossFit will survive for a long time; however CrossFit as the special place to test new theories for obtaining peak fitness died at the BlackBox Summit.

Hey I am new here so thanks for allowing me get this off my chest.
Steve Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Smile

Steve,

I think one of CrossFit's greatest marketing tools is its appeal to being contrarian. This works well when there is so much misinformation in the media, magazines, and internet. Because they appeal to being contrarian, they end up building a following of kool-aid drinkers who end up thinking CrossFit is the measuring stick of all things fitness, sport, nutrition, and health-related.

They tell you that education does not matter. They tell you that exercise science is a pseudoscience, yet they are quick to cite studies when they supports their views. They used to tell you that CrossFit could be implemented into almost every athlete's training program, yet that stance began to evolve as this proved to be untrue. Many see CrossFit's evolution as a positive, but I see it as another marketing ploy. CrossFit's generalized metabolic conditioning has proved not to be the holy grail of fitness, so they began embracing many different things out there (i.e., bringing people from various areas to run certs and write journal articles). They want to become the source of all fitness-related information, yet their constant changing of stances with the changing tides indicates that they don't know what's right in the first place. This is where the lack of education in anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, sport science, nutrition, etc. comes to light. Even Robb Wolf seems to have come to realize the importance of educating yourself in these areas. You can get away with not knowing this stuff when you've built your following in the way CrossFit has. Training for true elite fitness or elite athletics requires much more sophistication than CrossFit would like to acknowledge. They love to criticize exercise science because it allows them to ignore it. The breadth of good information in exercise science is actually pretty large, and thankfully, many coaches who are training Olympic athletes are not ignorant of it.

I don't agree with much of the stuff that people like Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Dan John, etc. put out there, but at least they don't claim to know everything or overstep their bounds.

If you'd like to know what people's stuff I read now, I read Joel Jameson's stuff at www.8weeksout.com, Lyle McDonald's stuff at www.bodyrecomposition.com, Alan Aragon's stuff at www.alanaragon.com, and Martin Berkhan's stuff at www.leangains.blogspot.com.

Steven Splisk's stuff at www.excelsiorsports.blogspot.com is good, too, but it's mostly advanced sciencey stuff. I'm thinking about reading James Krieger's stuff at www.thebsdetective.com as well.

Also, CrossFit was never really testing new theories. They just wanted you to think whatever they were trying or doing was something new and great.

Glad to vent with you.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Steve Romer

Donald

Thanks for the links and venting with me..

Also, how does one find a good coach for Olympic lifting? I don't trust CrossFit Affiliates to train me in those lifts but I feel they are important to learn. When google it I don't find any local coaches in South Jersey. Maybe I am not asking the right search question.
Steve Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I don't agree with much of the stuff that people like Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Dan John, etc. put out there, but at least they don't claim to know everything or overstep their bounds.
Huh?? You point out three people who have competed (well) at the world level, and have coached/produced elite level athletes in various sports, one of whom's methods revolutionized strength training in general... and you don't agree with them?
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you noticed, your name is probably now blue.

This means that your comments are in moderation before you post because you were supposedly inflammatory before. So... basically if they don't like your posts they'll just delete them from being posted before they post them.

Sucks. -_-
Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Kevin Perry

Well after reading this post and irongarm now I know why my name is highlighted blue. I wasn't even that mean to people on there, I guess Lynne ddidnt like that Gestapo comment. She probably wouldn't like what else I havnt said about her yet.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Steve didn't you know you're not supposed to question anything that CF says or does? (All jokes aside) They're not open to constructive criticism nor do they want to hear about anything that could possibly hold them in a negative light.
Doug Blankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you noticed, your name is probably now blue.

This means that your comments are in moderation before you post because you were supposedly inflammatory before. So... basically if they don't like your posts they'll just delete them from being posted before they post them.

Sucks. -_-
Are they supposed to highlight your name before doing any of that? Is it meant to be a warning of some kind, kind of like "careful what you say because we're watching you."?

The reason I ask is because my name has never been highlighted in blue yet I've had a number of posts deleted from the CF boards without any warning or explanation and I've noticed on a few occasions that links get deleted from my posts despite my slightly neurotic adherence to that silly "wfs" rule.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Welcome to the dark side.....our mixers are so much more fun.

Darryl, I'm sure it is only a matter of time with your questions for Dr Sears in the forums....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Are they supposed to highlight your name before doing any of that? Is it meant to be a warning of some kind, kind of like "careful what you say because we're watching you."?

The reason I ask is because my name has never been highlighted in blue yet I've had a number of posts deleted from the CF boards without any warning or explanation and I've noticed on a few occasions that links get deleted from my posts despite my slightly neurotic adherence to that silly "wfs" rule.
They're watching you....
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote